29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had a 29 gallon up and running for 3 years now. I currently have 1 male rosy barb and 1 male yellow lab cichlid (trying to sell cichlid). When both fish are out of the tank I am going back to a community tank. I was thinking a school of ~10 neon tetras, 1 common pleco, and ~4 mollies. I want to have the neons and pleco but am open to suggestions on a third or fourth species in the tank instead of the mollies. Would an angel pair become to aggressive for my tank?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

do not get a common pleco for a 29. They are just big pooping machines and do more harm than good. maybe check out otocinclus or bristle nose plecos. Mollie like harder water so maybe check out bleeding heart tetras. Either way the mollies will work though.

New stocking list-
~10 neon tetras, 3 otocinclus, bleeding, ~10 Gymnocorymbus ternetzi (Skirt tetra), and maybe a larger docile fish like a Gourami or Dwarf Gourami. I was thinking the bigger fish because the others are all under 3 inches. The gourami would be a center piece in a way. Thoughts???

Should I keep every fish from SA and knock out the skirt tetras and add Poecilia sphenops (black molly)? I would do 6 female to 1 male for the mollies. The more I think about these new fish the more I want to flat line my 2 fish so I can restart.

Edit: Maybe I should look up where a country is before opening my mouth. Petsmarts website had the black skirt tetras from bolivia and I thought that was not is SA. Say keep the black skirts in a school of 10 and have 4 mollies (3F:1M). I am really changing stocking around.

Don't worry about keeping it to one geographic region.

It's good to vary function a bit and when you put small fish in a 30 gallon you'll find you can have a lot of fish.

I'd check aquadvisor about having the 10 neons, maybe 8 skirt tetras, and at least 6 Otocinclus. I've kept Otos awhile and until I had 8 they just hid and didn't do their cleaning job.

You might be able to include some gourami from there but I think skirt tetras can be nippy so check on that.

About 8-10 ghost shrimp would help keep things clean. Otos don't scavenge for food in the cracks but shrimp do. 2 mystery snails too maybe.

Cories are also popular for clean up.

And be careful about using the phrase flatline the fish here ? it was a figure of speech I'm sure.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

I have checked AquaAdvisor with 10 neons tetras, 3 otocinclus, 10 black skirt tetras, 4 black mollies ( 1M : 3F ), 10 ghost shrimp, and 2 dwarf gourami. That puts me at 98% full, and once I add a Marineland Penguin 350B it should work out. Only warning I got was have 1 male molly for every 2 females. I have also started thinking about having live plants instead of plastics, Thoughts?

Went to petsmart today to see if they have everything I want and they do. Now I just have to decide on whay color dwarf gourami's I want. Also how do you sex black mollies amd should I add the fish one species at a time? Shrimp to neons to black skirts to mollies to gourami's? Really appreciate the help.

Update stocking. Added 3 more otos and reduced dwarf gourami

Attachments

• 1413306865513.jpg
    1413306865513.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 58
Any suggestions? My cichlid should be gone by tomorrow night and hopefully the barb by the weekend. I want to start adding fish early next week

I was told that mollies can become food hogs, so I switched the out for 4 Micky Mouse Platys. Still 1M : 3F ratio. I might just drop all live bearers because I dont really want to raise the fry, I would just leave them in tank as extra protein for fish.

Attachments

• 1413490576360.jpg
    1413490576360.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 51
Back
Top Bottom