Adding some Cory catfish to my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocTheJoc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon tank that has:
3 angelfish
2 mollies
1 sword tailed mollie
1 albino plecostomus
4 neon tetra
5 red Minor Serpae Tetra
2 catfish the squiggle that are silver and blue with a black line going vertical down its body. No one knows exactly what they are which is funny. They aren't very big at all maybe 2.5 to 3 inches.

What I was wondering is can I add some Cory catfish? Or would that be too many fish?

how big are your pleco and catfish supposed to get? i would factor that in then see how much room in the bottom of the tank you will have

The thing about my catfish are they hide all day in a sunken castle and don't really come out until 1 am and whenever they do the stay around the middle swimming back and forth. They are only 2.5 to 3 inches and I've had then for 3 years. My Plecoptera that I just got is still a baby and he is supposed to get to about 5 inches.

How many would you suggest? I was thinking 2-3. Is that a good number? And can you not mix albino and the regular ones?

they feel comfort in groups id like to suggest around 5 or 6. if your going to mix 2 different kinds i would do 3 of each

i had 4 skunk cories and 3 greens and they were always chilling around the tank together

Most would probably suggest 5-6. I have 1 albino, 3 Julii, 1 Panda and 1 Green in my 55g and they all sleep together. It's pretty cool. I wanted all Panda's or Julii's, but it didn't work out that way. My other tank has 2 Peppered and 1 Bronze. Same thing, they all hang together when they're not foraging. So I'd say three is not a bad number. But everything I've read everywhere says that 5 or 6 is the way to go.

Thanks! And do they hide at all? Or always out in the open?

mine hide occasionally, but they play a follow-the-leader game around the tank most of the time, i recently had a couple die so now because of the low numbers they hide alot

Mine like to get under some plants or decor for shade once in a while, but never hide. I can always see them. They're so active that I don't usually have to look very hard.

Back
Top Bottom