Betta & mystery snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tjt34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What are people's experience of this combination? Can it work? The tank is 6gal with just one Betta at the min.

In the LFS he lived fine with small fish but he does not play nice with my shrimp...

I have a betta with several mystery snails and he has never paid them any attention. I think it's generally a good combination, although for that size tank I'd probably only get one.

Ok thanks good to know. I might give it a try to liven the tank up more. Hopefully he will just ignore it - not sure why he is so merciless with shrimp.

Is there another type of snail that might suit my tank better?

What are people's experience of this combination? Can it work? The tank is 6gal with just one Betta at the min.

In the LFS he lived fine with small fish but he does not play nice with my shrimp...

Whether this works or not is at the complete discretion of your betta. They each have a unique personality. Yours has shown he doesn't do well with tankmates. I wouldn't risk it.

How a fish lives at the lfs is short-term. Seeing him with other fish and observing no issues, in the 5 minutes you're watching, does not mean that he will do well with tankmates long-term.

Tjt34 said:

I hope you don't intend to add another betta!
It all depends on the betta

Lol no I meant just add a snail to the Betta I already have in there on his own

Good luck! My betta is pretty feisty; I tried putting a snail in with him from my larger community tank and within 30 seconds he attacked it lol

Let us first go over impossible, almost always deadly betta tank mate ideas:
another betta=fish soup
shrimp=extra meal for Mr.Betta
ADF=Mr.Betta's all-you-can-eat buffet
snail=Mr.Betta's newest victim to his bullying

Now for some possible tank mates for Mr.Betta:
no tank mate=happy, healthy, lively betta that will be very peaceful and not stressed. He will live happily, sometimes up to 6 years, and you will be the proud owner of a betta with very vibrant coloration, and healthy fins:)

I suppose that the snail could work. I usually recommend them to people when they want a tank mate for their betta, but truth is, having another fish in his tank will just freak Mr./Mrs. Betta out. They usually become stressed, and their coloration fades. Please, just let your betta be by himself. If you really want a mystery snail in with your betta, go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you.
No, but seriously. You COULD keep a mystery snail in with a betta. Just monitor them together for twelve hours before leaving them alone to break up any fights. Plus, provide LOTS caves and short standing leafy plants (silk is best) for the snail. Also, provide some tall plants to keep your betta comfortable too!

I keep my beta with a school of ember tetras and they get along fine but I have a 10 gallon and don't know if that would work in a 6 gallon.

I keep my beta with a school of ember tetras and they get along fine but I have a 10 gallon and don't know if that would work in a 6 gallon.
Probably not for a 6 gallon is what I am saying. Most likely, you have a well tempered betta, and he/she feels no need to protect his/her turf because you have provided them with a lovely, spacious home.
For a six gallon, Mr. Betta will be very stressed, angry, and most likely violent with he neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom