External canister filter with UV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gwithyen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've seen a couple of external canister filters with. Uv attachment inside the canister, anyone got any thoughts on the matter or any experience with them? Or is it just another fad?

It is necessary for salt water but uv sterilizes will help keep your FW clearer too. I've been looking into getting one but I have to wait. It won't hurt at all though.

It may clear up green water but that's about it. From the research I've done, a balanced planted tank doesn't need one. Overall, u could be wasting money. Just something to think about before u buy. Ask yourself if ur tank REALLY needs it. If not, don't bother.

Yeah. If your water is just kinda cloudy due to fine particles, fiberfill in the filter will clear that up. That's what I use and it works well.

Just wondered if it might reduce algae levels in the tank? Or is it unlikely to have any effect on the stuff growing on the glass and decorations?

I have a UV on the end of one of my canister lines in my heavily planted 220g. I like the polished look of the water. As for algae, a UV only kills what passes in front of the light, therefore green water algae if the only algae it will kill. Some use products such as Purgen to give they water that ultra crisp look, UV's can do the same thing but remember with UV's you have to replace bulbs yearly. I don't see them as something needed for a small tank, except to clear green water, but on a large tank they really can be quite helpful.

Back
Top Bottom