filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigdom

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can I change my filter while cycling wit fish... its nasty and not letting the water to flow thru freely?

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

I would just let it ride if you don't have fish. However since you do, if you must due to restricted water flow or a stench, then either dechlorinate tap water or better yet just drain a little tank water and just gently rinse it in the bucket and discard the water. Don't change the filter. It would be detrimental to the cycle. I am a newbie too but from all the research that I have been doing, I am 99.99 percent sure this is a fact. Good luck and stay in touch.

Im cycling with fish... I rinsed it once last week and again today but then it put a lot of deal int the water. I put in a new one and did a pwc

bigdom said:
Can I change my filter while cycling wit fish... its nasty and not letting the water to flow thru freely?

You also search for the thread about cycling with fish.

bigdom said:
Im cycling with fish... I rinsed it once last week and again today but then it put a lot of deal int the water. I put in a new one and did a pwc

Did you rinse it inside the tank? Just use a bucket with a couple of cupss of tank water. Then you can pour it in the yard ar something. I wont change mine unless its falling apart. The filter is where most of the beneficial bacteria live. I would give 20 bucks for someone's old filter right now. I am doing mine fishless and can't get any old filter media or substrate from an established, properly cycled tank.

bigdom said:

I also just bought an AquaClear filter to give me a 2 to 1 filtration ratio. Mine is a 55 gallon and I now as of 10 minutes ago, have 110 gallons of filtration. How big is your tank and what type and capacity do or does the filter(s) have?

Its a 20 gal. Tank with a 150 filter... filters the tank once every 8 point sumthin min.

I've got a koi and 2 texas cichlids and a placo and now the koo and cichlids are not actin rite......... HELP

S@#t my koi is dead

Well not yet but actin drunk.... floating around nose up.... what do I do....somebody help before I.lose them all

bigdom said:
Well not yet but actin drunk.... floating around nose up.... what do I do....somebody help before I.lose them all

Take some water from your tank and rinse the dirtest part of your filter media. Then toss that water. Never rinse any part of your media in tap water, you'll kill the bacteria.

Do a 50% water change now and you can use the old tank water to clean your filter media with it. If the housing has lots of gunk try to remove it by hand to reduce restriction (use old water to rinse off what you remove).

Did you test your water for ammo, n02, n03? If not you need to test everyday to monitor them.

Crap.... no I rinsed it in tap water and it flushed some funk into the water.... I paniced.... took it out and putin a new one ....my koo just died and 2 cixhlids are latin on the bottom very lathargic

Can I save my cichlids??????

bigdom said:
Crap.... no I rinsed it in tap water and it flushed some funk into the water.... I paniced.... took it out and putin a new one ....my koo just died and 2 cixhlids are latin on the bottom very lathargic

Sorry to here about your loss. You still cycling your tank? If so,do water changes everyday (25-50%). How do you test your water parameters?

I got a api ammo test and a dip strip for everything else

I also do 1/3 to 1/2 water change every day

2-4 on ammo 5-10 on na. .5 on ni

Everyone has bin fine til about an hour ago.................. koo deAD TWO cichlids actin lazy still... will they snap out oit

Sorry meant koi is dead

Back
Top Bottom