filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you keep koi with cichlids?? I didn't think so... I thought one was a tropical fish and one a cold water/pond fish. Ideally your fish would never experience anything higher than .25ppm ammonia..anything higher and they are likely to be permanently damaged even if they make it through the cycle.

bigdom said:
My numbers are a little high but no reason for the koi to die

Sent from my DROIDX using Aquarium

Ammo over .25ppm for an extended time is hard on fish. You were up to 4.0ppm if I remember. n02 in any amount is hard on fish and worse IMHO than ammo. How long did you have the koi and where did you get it? It could've had some other ailment made worse by the spikes.

First pair of Moors I got came from petco, they died 2 weeks later. Went to a M&P LFS, got another pair and they're 4+ years old.

Hey. The cichlids made it thru the nite.... I think when I did a 50% water change ideas to much of a shock.... did a 50% wc today and they did the same... im gonna go back to a 1/3 ac like I was doin and they should be fine... ammo is down to 1.5-2 nowthough

Yea maybe a couple of 1/3 a day is better than 1/2. How are you doing?

Keep your eye on the nitrates too. Anything above. 25 is awful high ammonia and your nitrates are feeding off that ammonia. Keep an eye on those buddy.

Just enjoying spring. Kids playing ball, cooked on the grill. Watched about 4 minutes of a John Wayne.movie before Disney channel was discovered to be changed....haha

you said you just did a PWC and you changed the filter?

your good bacteria are gone now...check your water parameters...what is the level of your ammonia and nitrite? If it is more than 0.25ppm each, do another pwc. Levels more than 0.25ppm are not safe for fishes. I have a koi too in my 10G, they are a hardy fish, I got my ammonia up to 1ppm before and he was still okay. But if that will not be lowered down as soon as you can, your koi might be gone...sorry..

oppssss sorry...I was just reading the first page...didn't know there were more than 1 page...i am sorry you lost your koi...as I have said, levels of ammo and nitrite more than 0.25ppm are detrimental to fishes in long terms. Fully cycled tanks should have ammonia=0ppm, nitrite=0ppm, and nitrate=5-40ppm...Cycling with fish is a little work since you need to make sure that the levels are okay for your fishy residents. To make sure the levels are okay, you have to check it everyday and when it is higher than 0.25ppm, you have to change the water 50-70% at least once a day. Before I did it 2-3 times a day since I have a koi and 2 fancy goldfish and 2 plecos. They are heavy bioloaders (which would raise ammonia more than normal)...hence the PWC is VITAL.

Ya im doin 1/3 wc twice a day... any more than that and my texas cichlids act like there in shock... sittin on the bottom breathin short and fast.... but they seem to snap out of it
There tough ill give them that.. I lost my koi and one placo still got one placo and my 2 cichlids

Deckape said:
Yea maybe a couple of 1/3 a day is better than 1/2. How are you doing?

+1

Smaller frequent PWC are easier on fish.

How are you're water readings?

When you do PWC's dose with Prime (it's the best) for the full tank volume. Prime will cut ammo, no2 & no3 along with the usual chems.

Keep us posted please

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Good to hear from you. Glad things are getting better. Sorry you lost your fish.

Here my next question..... what's the rite temp for a pair of cichlids and a placo... I hear a wide range of numbers ...im at 75 now... is that good

You had a koi, two texas cichlids, and two plecos all crammed in the same 20 gallon tank?

At this point, I really don't expect any of them to live.

IMO, the person that sold you all of those fish together without question should be fired.

Lord no... one placo at a time and both the cichlids were only an once a price the koi was just chillin till I get my 75 gal over here.... I didn't buy them all at once

Back
Top Bottom