How to stock a semi-aggressive/aggressive tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tribalturtle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey friends,

Just wondering how to go about stocking a semi-aggressive/aggressive tank. I'm in the process of finishing up the stocking of my community tank and of course am starting to get hooked on this hobby. Now I'm starting to wonder how to build a semi-aggressive tank to get other kinds of fish in the future...

Any comments are always appreciated!

Well first, make sure you have a big enough tank to house them all + more room for them to swim. Stock your less aggressive fish first. Most aggressive last.

If you could post what size tank you have and what your stocking ideas are, we could help further! :popcorn:

So actually I don't have a tank at this point. I'm just curious about how to start such a tank...

Can you rank certain fish species by aggressiveness for me?

So actually I don't have a tank at this point. I'm just curious about how to start such a tank...

Can you rank certain fish species by aggressiveness for me?
Some cichlids are aggressive, some aren't but a lot are, but usually territorial. Some sharks such as balas are too. If you have a huge tank, you could probably look into some arowanas, eels, piranhas, oscars, sharks, catfish, clown knife, ghost knife, ect... to do a large predator/aggresive tank, I would say at least 180+ gallons, if not, cichlids are a good option.

I like tiger barbs a lot! Also maybe look into a leopard ctenopoma.

If you do cichlids, you can look at this site to help you determine aggressiveness: Cichlid Profiles

This will give you an idea on stocking cichlids: Lake Malawi Mbuna stocking, décor and hardware - Aquarium Advice

I have and like gold saum cichlids aka green terror - you could google image them and see what you think, they get approximately 5-9 inches depending on if it is mail or female. I have a juvenile on my profile.

I also have some African Mbuna cichlids on my profile. African cichlids come in a large amount of colors and usually can be stocked heavily to control aggression. You can read up about them if that's what your looking for.

Once you've come to a conclusion of what fish youd like let us know and we can definitely help! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom