May I or May not change the water ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sandmaan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in Sri Lanka a small tropical country
Hi this is my very first post here. I started my fish tank in 13th of this month without any fish and also this tanks is not a new tank this tank is a old one which I have just niglected and let alge grow.

I cleand the alge and started up with new fresh water we live in a rural place so we use well water let it there for 3 days with air pumps on and on 14th I did a 80% water change and on 15th I added 20 barbs (Tiger, Albino, Green) with 3 live plants.

Now I just want to know is it ok to do another partial this coming sunday ? is it a good idea or shall I wait for another week or so.

Welcome to the forum. It doesn't sound like you cycled this tank before you put the fish in. If you don't know what that is, please read this: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Do you have a test kit? We recommend the API master kit (liquid). You absolutely need to know your readings if you are cycling with fish.

Because you added so many fish at once, you will most likely have a high ammonia reading. This can kill your fish. It's crucial that you have the right information to keep them healthy.

Do you have a filter and heater on this tank?

Do you have a filter and heater on this tank?

Thank you for your quick reply. Well in my country no one knows a thing about cycling I'm just starting to learn about that but it's little late now but I'm trying my best to do it.

Then on to filters well I have 3 under gravel filters with a sponge filter to filter the water.

Heaters I don;t have any 'cos heaters are not available in Sri Lanka due to that most of the day our temperatures are high so fish dealers don't seems to bother about that and even advices it's not that necessary in our country.

Response

Cycling your water is very important but you have to be carefull when cycling water often with fish in the tank. The fish can get stressed out which can cause a variety of other problems..

just something to think about =]

sounds like fun! so grab yourself a test kit so you can test ammonia, nitrite, Ph, nitrates. also get yourself a thermometer so we can know your tank temp. test your water and let us know what your readings are.
In the mean time you need to be doing at the minimum a 50% PWC (partial water change) on a weekly basis. since you are starting a new cycle with fish in you may need to be doing daily 50% PWCs. that is why we need you to test your water. remember to temp match and condition your water before you add to your tank.

Back
Top Bottom