Moving media from one tank to a QT.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcmcn5

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 2 Aqueon 10 filters. I use one as backup to a Fluval 50 that sits on a 20 gallon tank in my daughter's room. The second Aqueon I plan to use on a 10 gallon QT for the new introductions to my daughter's 20 gallon and the 40 gallon I just bought for myself.

My question is if I want to use the media from the 20g to cycle the QT, then what exactly am I moving from the Aqueon 10? The filter has some sponge thing wrapped around carbon, and the sponge sits in a plastic housing in the filter. Do I just move the sponge cartridge to the QT filter, or the whole sponge/plastic housing to the QT? I'm just a little confused when I read about people cycling a new tank with media taken from a fully cycled tank.

Does the question make sense? I'm not sure I'm articulating it well enough.

if you mean that you have two filter housings, then you can just transfer all of the media in it, or just move the complet filter assembly. when i started my new 40 breeder tank i just filled it with water, added prime, got the temp steady and popped the complete filter that had been running on my existing tank and well established with bb in the new tank and its insta cycled. (and will stay good as long as there is a source of ammonia to keep the bb fed) i added fish about an hour after the filter was plugged in. no mini cycle or ammonia spikes.

Back
Top Bottom