Questions about caring for Amazon Leaf Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JaretoGringo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I'm a self admitted beginner to aquarium keeping (my experience amounts to a 10 gallon from my preteens that didn't even last a year) and I was looking to jump properly into the hobby. I have a space in mind that can just comfortably accommodate a 30 gallon tank and was looking for a good interesting species to fill it with. I grew up with a friend who kept a carnivorous species in his own tank, and the thrill of seeing a predatory fish feed is something that resonated with me as an angler and guy in general.

After doing some googling and looking around, I settled on an Amazonian Leaf Fish as a potential choice. They're a fascinating species and seem like they'd keep me plenty entertained as I went through the learning process.

However, I also care deeply about being able to properly care for any fish in my possession and would hate to kill such a beautiful specimen out of neglect or ignorance. The main challenge that I seem to see brought up is their ability and need to feed, with most sources saying they need a good 3 feeder minnows a day to keep healthy.
While the cost of such an appetite isn't as much of a concern for me, I wanted to see if anyone who might have experience with these fish could shed some light on what I can expect to go through, or if this species is even right for me.

A few main questions I have, besides any general tips for them, are:

Is there any alternative food sources I could provide should I be unable to buy feeder fish for any reason, such as bloodworms or freeze dried shrimp?

Are these a solitary species, or will I have to be committed to getting a pair/multiple? (This one is important since it obviously helps me understand how much food a day I'm looking at going through)

Would bulk buying feeder fish and keeping a separate smaller tank of them be a smart investment/ more efficient option?

Is a 30 gallon tank going to be sufficient space?

What plants would be ideal for this species? I understand they like lots of cover and I've heard people recommend surface plants to help block light

Thank you in advance for your help!

-Jaret

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom