Setting up 120 gallon tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ted630

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to buy a 120 gallon tank. I started to buy supplies for it, but need all the helpful advice I can get.

Filtration

Two Magnum 350 canister filters(run one with zeolite & the other with carbon)
Emperor 400 power filter
Perfecto undergravel filter(I think this comes with the tank)
Rena 400 air pump

Is this enough or too much filtration? What kind of heater should I use? I currently using a 300w Neptune heater. Should I use two 300w heaters or a larger wattage unit?

What fish do you plan on keeping in this tank?

Personally, I am not a fan of carbon. I like the Canister filters that allow you to put in ceramic media and let as much bacteria grow as possible.

Perfecto undergravel filter(I think this comes with the tank)
I would leave this out. You will have plenty of filtration without it and from what I understand are a PITA to clean. There was a lively discussion on UGFs here:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33931&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I also would not use the airpump since you will have enough filtration and agitation of the water's surface.

As for wattage of heater. Many members like the reliability of two heaters. I don't have enough outlet space for that many heaters! For larger tanks, 3 wpg is good. Smaller tanks need more wattage due to the heat lost to the ambient air.[/quote]

Thanks for the link about the UGF, I'm completely convinced not to use one. Since I'm using an Emperor 400 power filter, would 2 Magnum 350 canister filters be too much filtration and agitation? If so, could I get by with only using 1 Magnum 350 with the Emperor 400?

What fish do you plan on keeping in this tank?
I'm upgrading all the fish from my 75 gallon tank to the 120 gallon tank. I didn't decide yet if I'm keeping or selling the 75 gallon tank. If I keep it, I'll probably use the 75 gallon for African Cichlids.

Since I'm using an Emperor 400 power filter, would 2 Magnum 350 canister filters be too much filtration and agitation? If so, could I get by with only using 1 Magnum 350 with the Emperor 400?
Oscars are messy eaters and they get BIG!! I'm not sure. Perhaps Oscarbreeder will pop in and give his expert advice.

I didn't decided yet if I'm keeping or selling the 75 gallon tank.
Your goldies could use the extra room!

If you want a cannister filter, go for one of the big Eheims. They las for ever and you can adjust the media to your preference. I also run a HOB with my cannister. I use one 300 watt and 1 200 watt heater in my 125. Having them at opposite ends makes for more uniform temp and will prevent a dangerous drop in temp if one fails.

I'm finally done buying the supplies and now all set to upgrade to the 120 gallon tank tomorrow. I just hope Petsmart has the 120 gallon tank in stock. Thanks Menegerie and Bassnman for your helpful advice. I hope everything goes well tomorrow!

OOps!!

Looks like Im a little late getting here.
Sorry Menagerie I didnt see your messages to me until today.

I would have went with a 2 stainless steel heaters at 300w that way the Oscars couldnt break them.

As for filtration I woiuld reccomend an Ocean Clear canister filter run by a 1200gph water pump.

This set up works wonders.

Anyway, ted630,

What ever equipment you chose I hope all geos well for you and your Oscars.
If you have any questions feel free to ask me and I will try to pay more attention to my messages.
:oops:

Back
Top Bottom