Setting Up and Stocking a 10 gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a friend who has kept a beta for a couple of years in his 20 gal guppy breeding tank. It is thriving and looks very happy. I know guppies are much more outgoing that cpds but I think they'll do fine. If not give me some other suggestions for small schoolers that would be beta compatible.

In my experiance and that of my fish keeping friend betas have a bad rap for being mean fish. But they are only mean (homicidal) to other male beta. And I am not planning on two beta in the same tank.

But I do appreciate the input, I need all the help I can get! :)

I have a friend who has kept a beta for a couple of years in his 20 gal guppy breeding tank. It is thriving and looks very happy. I know guppies are much more outgoing that cpds but I think they'll do fine. If not give me some other suggestions for small schoolers that would be beta compatible.

In my experiance and that of my fish keeping friend betas have a bad rap for being mean fish. But they are only mean (homicidal) to other male beta. And I am not planning on two beta in the same tank.

But I do appreciate the input, I need all the help I can get! :)

If you're asking people for advice, then go against what advice is given to you, why even ask in the first place? There's no reason to stress out fish unnecessarily which also makes the fish susceptible to disease. I've seen this time and time again, people go against the advice they asked for then wonder why there fish are sick or died.
Rant over.

In general most schooling/Shoaling fish need at least a 20g as most are quite active.

Nano fish can use a 10g but I personally do NOT recommend a Betta with them.

I'd say Betta and Ghost Shrimp
Or
CPDs and Cherry Shrimp
Or other tiny Rasboras or Ember Tetras.

You can get away with a lot more in a 20g. Betta will cruise the top half and other fish can be away from his territory.

I've had many Bettas over the years. Some are mellow. Some kill any and ALL tank mates.

Ok, I guess your correct. (Most) beta would infact kill the CPD and eat the shrimp. But still jut wondering, are there any cleaner fish I could put with a beta aside from shrimp.

Ps. I am hopefully going to get a 20 gal. And I will ask you for your advice when that dose happen. Thanks loads, you probably saved some fish from a cruel and unusual death. :)

In general most schooling/Shoaling fish need at least a 20g as most are quite active.

Nano fish can use a 10g but I personally do NOT recommend a Betta with them.

I'd say Betta and Ghost Shrimp
Or
CPDs and Cherry Shrimp
Or other tiny Rasboras or Ember Tetras.

You can get away with a lot more in a 20g. Betta will cruise the top half and other fish can be away from his territory.

I've had many Bettas over the years. Some are mellow. Some kill any and ALL tank mates.

Yes, I'll probably go with the CPDs and Cherry Shrimp. But do you need a "jungle" type tank of just a well planted tank?

Yes, I'll probably go with the CPDs and Cherry Shrimp. But do you need a "jungle" type tank of just a well planted tank?

At least part of the tank should be thickly planted. The more hiding places you have, the more you'll see shyer fish usually.

It does not need to be a overgrown as mine.

You can have Otos as well depending on final stocking plan. Just don't add them till you have some Algae on the walls. You can wipe front wall.

Other choices Micro Rasboras or Ember Tetras. All may pick on baby shrimp, but adults will be safe.

If you go with a 20g Long you can add Dwarf Cories. There are 3 species you might find. C. habrosus is what I have. Lovely fish.

I hear a lot of people who have well planted tanks refer to the term cycling. I'm not quite sure what the means, and I just got a few plants in my fish less tank and think that it will be something I need to know.

I would appreciate any help. :)

I hear a lot of people who have well planted tanks refer to the term cycling. I'm not quite sure what the means, and I just got a few plants in my fish less tank and think that it will be something I need to know.

I would appreciate any help. :)

This link should help; the first thing it explains is cycling and the two most common methods (fish-in or fishless): Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the helpful link!

So from what I gather "cycling" is just running the filter and changing the water regularly?

Am I correct?

Yes, cycling is running the tank, with fish or no fish.

You can't just run the tank and change the water without adding a source of ammonia. Alot of fish stores will say to set up the tank and let it run for a week. Then you're ready for fish. That's dead wrong! You have to have a source of ammonia. Ammonia is the waste produced by fish and rotting things. Ammonia feeds the beneficial bacteria. So if you do a fishless cycle you need to add ammonia, either buy buying ammonia or dropping in some fish food or a raw shrimp. Then you test. You'll see a spike in Ammonia and nitrites and then they will dissappear and all you'll see is nitrates. Then you do a big water change like 75-80% usually, and then you can add fish!

If you do a fish in cycle you have to be prepared to do pwcs daily until you get readings of 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. You have to do more water changes with fish in so your fish don't die.

So just how much food should I add for a fish less???

And how long does a fish less take? My guess is 1-3 months. Is this correct?

So just how much food should I add for a fish less???

And how long does a fish less take? My guess is 1-3 months. Is this correct?

Put in a good size pinch and test ammonia in 24 hours. You want to get it to 2-4ppm. Fishless can take around 5-6 weeks. Maybe shorter, maybe longer. It all just depends.

I have recently come across a 20gal tank and am wondering what to do with it. It's got nothing in it but a lid and light.

I know that a 20 gallon is a little bit more flexible than a ten gallon so I was looking for some stock ideas.

Anything at all will be very helpful. :)

Maybe

2 German blue rams
6 rummy nose tetra
4 Pygmy Cory cats
1 bristle nose pleco

For stock? Or would this be overstocked? Someone else correct me if I'm wrong

That sounds like a great stock! Maybe a bit overstocked (but I wouldn't know) like you said we need someone else to chime in.

Back
Top Bottom