(Somewhat) new to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I should ask have you purchased anything yet? do you have a light strip or are your plans just that at this point? If you havent got anything yet you might want to look into a Jebo/Odyssea CF light strip and a DIY or Hagen CO2 system if you are really set on those plants..
And if you want to pick out less demanding plants (as far as light requirements go) here is a great link.. http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_cat.php?category=1

You can save some money by not spending too much on a over-sized filter and get the lighting and CO2 that you need for your plants. :p

greenmagi said:
I should ask have you purchased anything yet?

No, I don't get anything until my report card comes. (And I start school in three weeks.). AND my report card has to be all b's and a's. 8O
So if all goes well I'll be ordering my stuff in 15 weeks. 8O
But I'm taking advantage of this time to learn the most I can, and save up my money, So i can make my fish feel the most at home.
About the plants: They're Aquascape plants... :oops:
(They're not real.)

Here's an item I just added to the list:
Visi-Therm Stealth Heater (50 watts)

-Blizzard

You need 5 Watts per gal on the heater. So unless you are buying a 10 gal tank, up the wattage on the heater.

OK, so I need a 100 watt..Will do!
Is there anything missing from my list that I will need?

LiveAquaria- What do you guys think about this site. Have you ever ordered from them. I ask because I think this is where I'll be purchasing my livestock. I'll tell you one thing, I will NOT give one cent to petsmart! :x

So far, I've only ordered equipment and supplies from them...no livestock as yet. I have heard some rave reviews regarding their livestock and shipping policies (livestock replaced if...well, you know).

Well I've never ordered fish from the internet. I did order two Fire Bellied Toads, and a Leopard Gecko from LLLreptile. (All of them arrived happy and healthy at my doorstep.)
The whole process seems like it would cause undue stress to the fish, and that's never good :? .
Maybe I'll give it a try....

Oh yeah, is LiveAquaria a branch of Drsfostersmith? I really like these guys, I ordered an azoo palm filter for my betta from them, they also know what they are talking about unlike those evil chain petstores...

Another great site is www.bigalsonline.com They price match then give a discount of 5% if you can find the product online at a cheaper price. I order all my equipment from them and they are fast.

Wow, I didn't know that places online matched prices! Foster&Smith better look out!

Does anyone know where I can buy a plain old glass aquarium? (online) The only thing online I can find sells kits, like Eclipse, etc.

To do the price match you have to call Big Al's customer service.

Buying tanks online really isn't a good idea. Mainly because of the glass tank in shipping. Have you checked out your lfs?

Fishyfanatic said:
To do the price match you have to call Big Al's customer service.

Buying tanks online really isn't a good idea. Mainly because of the glass tank in shipping. Have you checked out your lfs?

Yeah I know what you mean. The reason I ask this is because I am ordering all of the parts from Drsfostersmith, except for the tank. I thought it would simplify things if I ordered the tank from this site too. Heck, I would buy everything from my LFS if they sold everything I needed. Next summer I plan to work there, so maybe I can reccommend some new products, etc. I can't wait! (I should probably get MY tank first lol)

I need some suggestions. What kind of substrate do you think would look the best with these fish:

Three Julii Corys
Two Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
and Six True Rummynose Tetras.

Those are the fish that I am putting in to my 20 gal. that I get this fall (hopefully.) I'm also considering a Black Lyretail Molly to add a "Mysterious" feeling to the tank, lol :mrgreen: .
What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom