(Somewhat) new to the hobby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
depends on what you like.. I like black or natural brown substrates.. White can be a nice contrast but its hard to keep clean.. HTH

I've been meaning to ask this- How do you guys use sand as a substrate? A long time ago I tried it, but when I added the water it went everywhere and wouldn't settle. Is it a special kind of ultra-fine sand that you use?
-Blizzard

I use pool filter sand. It is heavy and won't float. Basically you fill a 5 gal bucket about 1/3 full of sand. Then stick a hose in it. Let the hose runover the bucket for about 15 minutes (or until the water comes out clear). Swish the sand around in the tank. Then when the water is coming out clear, dump the sand into an empty tank. Then repeat. After you have finished with all the sand, put a plate in the tank. Pour water onto the plate. That way you don't disrupt the sand too much. That's why I do and I have sanded all of my tanks (except the 5 gal). I don't have any problems keeping white sand clean. I peppered it with black sand to hide some of the fish waste. But it's not a big concern. I mainly did it because my Africans are poop machines.

So do you guys think I can fit a black lyretail molly into the 20 gal that is going to have
3 corys, 6 true rummynose tetras, and 2 neon blue dwarf gouramis?

I personally wouldn't. And it's mainly because Mollys need alot of swimming space to really thrive. I wouldn't put one in anything less than a 29 gal. (I know, I have one in a 10, but I just don't have the heart to get rid of him. But I will be next week. :( )

Ok , I won't. The only thing that I'm certain of right now is the plants/decor, and I know I'm going to have three corys. I don't know what other fish I will add. I am really interested in German Blue Rams, but LiveAquaria says they are difficult to care for. What do you guys think? What other Cichlids could fit in a 20 gal?

The Rams are difficult to care for because they do not take well to change. They really need a low pH and almost pristene tank conditions. I am going to attempt them in a pH 7.6 and see how they do. There is a thread going in the General Discussion forum about them, you may want to check that thread out.

What kind of Cichlids are you looking into? African or South/Central American?

The cockatoo is a relative of the German, Gold and Bolivan Rams. There is a theory that some German Blues were an intentional hybrid of the Bolivan and Cockatoo by breeder's in asia.

Although they are small enough, I wouldn't put them in a tank less than 30 gals as they are a little more agressive/territorial than the other Ram species.

So right now it looks like the tank will probably have:
2 Neon Blue Dwarf Gouramis
6 True Rummynose Tetras
3 Julii Corys
and possibly a Badis.

Okay I will. Arghh 14 more weeks until I get the tank...... :cry:

Back
Top Bottom