Stocking 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlover3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone! Im a beginner so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing a lot of research and am looking to get a 55 gallon tank. I would like to have a few GBR's, an angelfish, some ottos and if applicable maybe my current glo fish. Are these fish compatible? I was wondering how many of each fish I could keep if there was a way to avoid breeding my GBR's? Also, how should I keep the water conditions (ph,temp etc) in order to comfortably support all fish. I currently have 3 danio glo fish in a 10 gallon and because they are such active swimmers, I would like to maybe move them to the bigger tank if I could.I would also like to add a few more glofish because they are beautiful and do well in schools. I would LOVE a ton of info.

P.S. Does anyone know if Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums is a good place to order fish?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi everyone! Im a beginner so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been doing a lot of research and am looking to get a 55 gallon tank. I would like to have a few GBR's, an angelfish, some ottos and if applicable maybe my current glo fish. Are these fish compatible? I was wondering how many of each fish I could keep if there was a way to avoid breeding my GBR's? Also, how should I keep the water conditions (ph,temp etc) in order to comfortably support all fish. I currently have 3 danio glo fish in a 10 gallon and because they are such active swimmers, I would like to maybe move them to the bigger tank if I could.I would also like to add a few more glofish because they are beautiful and do well in schools. I would LOVE a ton of info.

P.S. Does anyone know if Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums is a good place to order fish?

Thanks a bunch!

By glo fish you mean glow tetras? If so I believe they are compatible with GBR's, Angels I would avoid with GBRs imo anyway. Ottos I am not positive like the higher temps that GBRs like. Also GBRs do best when added to an established tank not a newly cycled one. Might want to add last when already up and running for several months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

By glo fish you mean glow tetras? If so I believe they are compatible with GBR's, Angels I would avoid with GBRs imo anyway. Ottos I am not positive like the higher temps that GBRs like. Also GBRs do best when added to an established tank not a newly cycled one. Might want to add last when already up and running for several months.

Really? I have seen Multiple websites and videos of tanks with angels and GBR's and they are doing well. I have heard that as long as the tank is large enough they are compatible. And I think the angelfish might eat my danios so I will keep them out.

Otos are nice but can be sensitive and definitely need an established tank.

Not sure about the GBR/angel combo. I've kept both in the past but separately.

Tough call on the danios. If the angels are small/young it might work, I know a lot of people successfully kept angels and neons or similar. Danios are also crazy fast.

Never ordered from Live Aquaria. 95% of my fish were purchased online, most of those from Wet Spot.

Check out www.aquabid.com. wetspot sells on there as well as their website and there are other great sellers too. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The reason I say to not mix is adult Angels can stress out a GBR and though this might not kill it, the stress could make the GBR much more shy and hide all the time. Most people who keep Rams in a community tank make them the center piece fish because of their beauty and peacefulness. With my ram I keep tetras, rasboras, Cory cats, plecos, guppies and crown plecos as an example.

As far as best way to get them not to breed. Rams unlike other cichlids are very particular in mates, most successful breeders buy 1 male and multiple females and wait for a pair to form and then sell back the other females. You could also in a 4' tank keep 2 males(most likely some ime won't allow it) or 2 females.

I think the GBRs are okay with angelfish. Ive had a 55 gallon with one single Bolivian ram, two angelfish, and some schooling fish. The angelfish did not bother the bolivian ram. When i fed my bolivian ram pellets, she gets aggressive and doesnt let anyone take it away. She sometimes would chase the angelfish when they try to take away her food.

As for the otocinclus, they are compatible and need to be in an established tank. Drip acclimation should be a must. If you get ottos from petco, petsmart, or walmart. It is guaremteed for at least one ottocinclus to die, since they are extremely senstive to water conditions. When I got 6 ottos from a local store called petclub, they lived for a long time. I didn't even drip acclimate them I only use the floating bag method. No casualties. They ate my diatoms like crazy. In less than a week the diatoms were all gone. So if you get ottos get them from a store who takes care if fish well. Also its guarenteed that you wont have a problem with diatoms. THEY ARE A PAIN IN THE ***!!!

Angels and GBRs should be OK. However, if the Angels are a breeding pair, they'll probably harass and stress the GBRs. Conversely, breeding GBRs are more bark than bite.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom