Stocking A 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kbiff

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! I just joined this site. Im about to setup a 150 gallon freshwater community tank. I have a few questions about the stocking of the tank. Iv been doing a lot of research on this but I was wanting some other thoughts and opinons. There are a few fish that i really want to have. They are the Kuhli Loach and Cory Cat. With them being bottom feeders I pretty much have a whole tank to still fill. My wife would really like to have angelfish ( I wouldnt mine having them either as the center of the tank). I want to have at least 1 school of fish possibly 2. And then maybe a few odd and end fish that randomly grasp your attention. I wouldnt mind having a few invertebrates like the ghost shrimp or anything of that nature but i know with the angelfish this could be really difficult. The tank will have sand as a flooring with rocks and artifical plants. I will be running a Fluval fx6 as my filter. Please post your thoughts and opinions on what fish I should keep and what quanities. Im open to all suggestions.
biggrin.gif

That is amazing congrats on the big tank I need to get one soon haha! But remember to cycle it and all that but as far as stocking goes you can pretty much do any fish you want I would suggest some of these fish research them and give me an idea of what you like!

Siamese Algae Eater
Bristlenose Pleco
Harlequin Rasboras
Rummy Nose Tetras
Silver Hatchetfish
Panda Cory
Juli Cory
Bronze Cory
Cherry Barb
Silver Dollar
Peacock eel
Clown Loach
Giant Danio
Red Tailed Black Shark
Banded and black kuhli loach
Pearl Gourami

There's some fish I think you would like.

Well congrats! I have always dreamed about an amazon themed tank:
- a small school of angels (I don't know how many can be in a school, but I think 3-5 would be best)
- 20 rummynose tetras
- 10 cardinal tetras
- 10 glowlight tetras
- 6 bleeding heart tetras
- 6 marbled hatchet fish
- 8 lamp eye tetra
- 10 corys
- 8 otocinclus vittatus
- 2 pairs of apistogramma cacatuoides
- a pair of german blue rams

That would be an awesome tank!!!

Stocking a 150 gallon

So I'm confused about tetras and angels. Some say that it's a bad idea because the angels will try to eat the tetras and others say they will get along fine. Also what would be a good amount of angels. Iv heard that with more then 2 two of them might become a pair and pick on the remaining angels. Also I plan on doing a fish less cycle so that I don't harm any of the fish and I can keep any eye on how everything in the tank works like the filter and bubbler and ext. I'm going to look into the fish you guys have posted and respond back. Thanks for the posts so far. I'm trying to do as much research as I can so it's perfect when I finally finish it. So i dont have to keep asking the wife to purchase items and fish. And you know the saying a happy wife is a happy life.

Honestly I would start out out with 4 angels and wait for 2 of them to pair when they do pair I would rehome the other 2 angels. But if the angels grow up with the tetras you should be fine idk what it is but don't get neons. Every time I have neon tetras with them they always get eaten.

Stocking a 150 gallon

So far looking into some of the fish that have been posted. I really like the silver dollar and from what I just read they do well with almost any fish. The peacock eel also caught my attention but after reading up on it a little it says that they are a semi aggressive fish that gets to a pretty decent size, would I have to worry about it trying to eat the rest of my fish like the kuhli loach? Also what are your impression on the rainbow shark. They seem pretty cool.

In a 150 a eel or shark could work. If you want silver dollars just know they are extremely peaceful but will get large they are very cool though. The eel will get around 12 inches and they are actually peaceful khuli loaches should be safe but the eel will need to be hand fed or else it will be outcompeted for food. Both rainbow sharks and red tailed sharks are cool fish to. You can only keep 1 in a tank though but it will need at least 4 big caves it can travel around to. Plus if you get a shark make sure you have sight breakers like plants and rocks because sometimes they will chase fish around but in a 150 you should be fine.

I'm actually really liking the idea of
2-4 angels
8 Cory cats
16 tetras
3 silver dollars
2 rams
5 kuhli loaches
2 rainbow sharks

Do you think that is to many fish or still have room for more?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only do 1 rainbow shark do not do more than 1 that will be a blood bath I would add more silver dollars like at least 5. I would do a stock of

2- Angelfish
20- tetra do all of the same kind.
5- Silver Dollars
1- Rainbow Shark
10- Khuli Loach
10- Cory's

I personally wouldn't do rams they can be sensitive I don't really like them. I would ditch them and just get more tetras like 20. Instead of 16

Cardinal tetras look really nice. But so do the rummy nose. What do you think would be better suited for this tank. Are rainbow sharks really hostile towards each other?

Yes rainbow sharks are extremely hostile to one another the dominant one will torment the little one to death. I think cardinals would look better but that's just me either one will work.

Would hatchet fish or zebra dainos do well in this enclosure? Have a small group of maybe 8-10?

Hatchetfish would zebra danios and angelfish don't mix so well danios can get nippy. If you want hatchets a group of 8 could be added to your stock list.

That would be awsome is there any particular kinds of hatchet fish to stay away from?

Honestly I think the plain silver hatchetfish is the way to go. I have never been able to keep the marbled ones alive is your tank running yet? Like are you cycling it currently?

Honestly I think the plain silver hatchetfish is the way to go. I have never been able to keep the marbled ones alive is I your tank running yet? Like are you cycling it currently?

I'm currently deployed but coming home here soon. I have most if not all of it waiting for me when I get home. I will start cycling my tank as soon as I get back. But I wanted to figure this all out now and not wait because I'm going to be extremely busy when I get back to the states

That makes sense always better to plan ahead so is your stock now looking something like

2- Angels
8- Hatchetfish
20- Cardinal Tetras
1- Rainbow Shark
10- Cory Cats
10- Kuhli Loaches
5- Silver Dollars

So if I did
2 marble angels
8 silver hatchet fish
20 cardinal tetras
1 rainbow shark
5 panda Cory cats
5 albino Cory cats
10 kuhli loaches
5 silver dollars

If I cut a few of the cats and loaches out would I be able to have 2 dwarf gourami? Or would I be ok not cutting any out. I don't want to overstock but this is my first aquarium over 75 gallons so I'm not really sure what it can hold.

You don't have to cut anything you could add 2 dwarfs make sure you get a male and a female that should max it out. Or close to it.

That looks like a great stocking list but if I had a tank that large I would do a school of bosemani rainbows, that are great looking fish and would do great in a tank that large, I'm just not sure what they would be able to go with in your current list.

Back
Top Bottom