Stocking a 36 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sbarrett3122

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can I keep 6 bronze corydoras, 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 lyretail mollies, a dwarf gourami, and a clown pleco in a 36 gallon tank?

Can I keep 6 bronze corydoras, 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 lyretail mollies, a dwarf gourami, and a clown pleco in a 36 gallon tank?
In all of most accounts, I'd say yes as long as you don't add all 21 fish at once. My concern is that even though the clown loach is one of the smaller loaches, it's a super pooper adding as much ammonia to the water as a goldfish. It is also very nocturnal and will spend most of the day hiding where you won't even see it and their have been several reports of them becoming territorial and killing cory catfish.

Hello Sb...

As long as you did your homework ahead of time and found out that all the fish would get along, I'd say you're good. 36 gallons is a good amount of water and you just need to remove and replace most of it weekly to keep the fish healthy. Mollies could use a bit of standard aquarium salt added to the replacement water. A healthy teaspoon in every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water is about right. The other fish will be fine with this small amount and so will any aquatic plants you introduce.

Have fun!

B

In all of most accounts, I'd say yes as long as you don't add all 21 fish at once. My concern is that even though the clown loach is one of the smaller loaches, it's a super pooper adding as much ammonia to the water as a goldfish. It is also very nocturnal and will spend most of the day hiding where you won't even see it and their have been several reports of them becoming territorial and killing cory catfish.
I must apologize. I reread your post. The clown pleco is fine. I don't know how I got clown loach in my head...so yes, they will all work fine together. Make sure you have some driftwood for your pleco.

Back
Top Bottom