Suggestions for 16 gallon bowfront nano tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MountainAsh87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I tried to do this a few months ago, but my plans never really got off the ground - I'm itching to set up a low light planted nano tank in my 16 gallon bowfront aquarium.

The obvious choices for livestock (or, at least, the ones that were suggested before) are chili rasboras (boraras briggitae), axelrod rasboras (sundadanio axelrodi), pygmy cory cats (corydoras pygmaeus), and celestial pearl danios (celestichthys margaritatus).

I'll probably be sticking with java moss and java fern as the plants - I have NO aptitude for horticulture, but I'd much rather have a planted tank for both the practical benefits and the aesthetic appeal.

Are there any other species that would work in that sort of set up? I don't want something so big that it will stress the little guys out. I really like blue dwarf gouramis, but I'm concerned one would be too big/aggressive, and I've heard that blue dwarfs in particular tend to be on the sickly side.

I know pygmy cory cats rest on the bottom levels, but I read that they tend to shoal in the middle level. Would it be overcrowding the middle of the tank to have pygmys AND some mid-to-top dwellers?

How many of each species would be recommended? I'd like to have at least 3 different species in the tank, of possible.

Also, where would be the best place to GET these kind of fish? I've seen CPDs at my LFS, but none of the others, and I haven't heard back as to whether or not they are able/willing to special order them.

p.s. I've heard that smaller fish tend to be more sensitive to water parameters, so I intend to fishless cycle the tank before buying anything. I'm just looking for any options I haven't thought of in terms of stocking and plant advice. :)

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps! :D

Ember tetras are another nano fish that would do well. I have Celestial Pearl Danio and they are beautiful little fish. You could also try Aquabid; just check the feedback of the seller first.

I tried to do this a few months ago, but my plans never really got off the ground - I'm itching to set up a low light planted nano tank in my 16 gallon bowfront aquarium.
Sounds awesome. I am wanting to set up a nano aquarium soon myself ;)
The obvious choices for livestock (or, at least, the ones that were suggested before) are chili rasboras (boraras briggitae), axelrod rasboras (sundadanio axelrodi), pygmy cory cats (corydoras pygmaeus), and celestial pearl danios (celestichthys margaritatus).
I am no stocking expert, but IMO I am not sure if you can have three schoolers in there.
I'll probably sticking with java moss and java fern as the plants - I have NO aptitude for horticulture, but I'd much rather have a planted tank for both the practical benefits and the the aesthetic appeal.

Are there any other species that would work in that sort of set up? I don't want something so big that it will stress the little guys out. I really like blue dwarf gouramis, but I'm concerned one would be too big/aggressive, and I've heard that blue dwarfs in particular tend to be on the sickly side.
Sure! Sparkling gouramis, least killifish, pygmy hatchets, there's quite a few! Just be sure to do your research before :)
I know pygmy cory cats rest on the bottom levels, but I read that they tend to shoal in the middle level. Would it be overcrowding the middle of the tank to have pygmys AND some mid-to-top dwellers?
I have no experience with pygmy cats, but IMO whenever they do come to the top, cories only do so to gulp air. Then they go right back down.
How many of each species would be recommended? I'd like to have at least 3 different species in the tank, of possible.
I would say six for schools, and since all the fish you want are schooling fish, I'm not sure you'd have any more room in your tank.
Also, where would be the best place to GET these kind of fish? I've seen CPDs at my LFS, but none of the others, and I haven't heard back as to whether or not they are able/willing to special order them.
You can try to have the LFS special order them for you. Also try LiveAquaria or AquaBid. Also, if you were interested in ember tetras, another cool nano fish, Severum Mama and HN1, two members on here, have some for sale, check them out in the Classifieds.
p.s. I've heard that smaller fish tend to be more sensitive to water parameters, so I intend to fishless cycle the tank before buying anything. I'm just looking for any options I haven't thought of in terms of stocking and plant advice. :)

Comments in the bold red. Good luck! :)

I'll probably sticking with java moss and java fern as the plants - I have NO aptitude for horticulture, but I'd much rather have a planted tank for both the practical benefits and the the aesthetic appeal.

Corydoras pygmaeus and hastatus do shoal mid tank. I would recommend you try to find tank bred specimens. Often they are wild caught, which I believe mine are, and they are very skittish and are rarely seen. Personally, I would go with corydoras habrosus because they are actually bottom dwellers, and they are incredibly adorable.

I keep my CPD's at much lower temps than the other fish on your stock list, so those wouldn't be my choice for this tank. I believe keeping them at the temps the other fish will need will shorten their lifespan. You can do your own research on this, but what I've found is that they prefer low 70's.

For centerpeice fish in this tank you could do a trio of sparkling gouramis, or a few scarlet badis. Ember tetras, yunnanilus cruciatus, and microdevario kubotai would all be good choices for this tank as well.

I would avoid adding any larger fish like dwarf gouramis.

Sure! Sparkling gouramis, least killifish, pygmy hatchets, there's quite a few! Just be sure to do your research before.
OMG, sparkling gouramis are beautiful! I have mixed feelings about the least killifish, but the pygmy hatchets are pretty nifty, too. Thanks! :D

Personally, I would go with corydoras habrosus because they are actually bottom dwellers, and they are incredibly adorable.
You're right! So cute!! In retrospect, I remember looking at them before, but I seem to remember them being bigger... The sites I've found list a max size of 1-1.5". Does that sound right? If so, they sound perfect. :)

For centerpeice fish in this tank you could do a trio of sparkling gouramis, or a few scarlet badis.
I was trying to ask that specifically, but my phone wasn't cooperating at work. Way to read my thoughts! :D A trio of sparkling gouramis would be so pretty! I like the scarlet badis, but I don't think they're quite right. >.>

Ember tetras, yunnanilus cruciatus, and microdevario kubotai would all be good choices for this tank as well.
This probably sounds silly, but I don't ike ember tetras because I don't like the color orange. Overall, I'm not a fan of loaches - they remind me of snakes, but not in a good way? I don't know. I guess I'm weird like that. The Microdevario kubotai are really pretty, though!

A trio of sparkling gouramis, a small school of Corydoras habrosus, and one other small school would work. Or, would Axelrod rasboras and chili rasboras fill the mid and top levels, leaving the bottom free for some dainty corys? I wish I could get Axelrod, chili, and neon yellow rasboras (I'm a sucker for primary colors), but that seems like too many fish. :bawl: Would hatchetfish, even pygmy hatchets, work in my tank? It doesn't seem long enough. :/ If they would work, dainty corys and pygmy hatchets and a mid-level school would be nice and balanced. :)

-sigh- This is why I love lurking on this site. You guys are the best. :thanks:

I keep my CPD's at much lower temps than the other fish on your stock list, so those wouldn't be my choice for this tank. I believe keeping them at the temps the other fish will need will shorten their lifespan. You can do your own research on this, but what I've found is that they prefer low 70's.
Oh, are there any other small fish that would go well with CPDs, temperature-wise? I have no problem keeping a lower-temp tank if I can come up with a stocking plan for it that I like. Since I don't have fish atm, I'm pretty open to changing around my setup. :)

Yes, that's correct on the habrosus size. They are very dainty, especially the males. They are a tad larger though than the hastatus and pygmaeus, but they are one that acts more like a typical cory.

Even though I'm not too crazy about snakes, I am fond of snake-like fish for some reason. Once I got my ember tetras home and settled into a planted tank, they were much more beautiful than I had expected. I understand on the orange though. The scarlet badis wouldn't be a great fit either since they are orangey.

IMO you can do the chili, axelrod, neon yellow rasboras, and habrosus cories. Replacing one of those with the pygmy hatchets would work as well. We are talking about very small fish here and I have a similar stocking in a similar sized tank and no one is short on space. Or you could do one group less, but larger schools, depending on the look you want.

The habrosus cories would also work with the CPD's. I believe the Axelrod's would as well but I'm not as familiar with those. Other great options for them would be hara jerdoni, normans lampeye, and danio erythromicron. I keep CPO's (dwarf crays) with mine as well. :)

Oh and to answer your earlier question, a couple great sites for nano fish are bobstropicalplants.com and franksaquarium.com. I have ordered from both. I know bobs is running a sale this weekend. Sometimes severum mama and HN1 have some in stock, and their stock list is in the classified section. Aquabid is great also.

siva said:
Even though I'm not too crazy about snakes, I am fond of snake-like fish for some reason.
I'm the other way around - I LIKE snakes, but I loaches give me the creeps. XD

siva said:
IMO you can do the chili, axelrod, neon yellow rasboras, and habrosus cories. We are talking about very small fish here and I have a similar stocking in a similar sized tank and no one is short on space.
I think that's what I'll go with, then. :) Does 8 or so sound good for each school?

siva said:
Other great options for them would be hara jerdoni, normans lampeye, and danio erythromicron. I keep CPO's (dwarf crays) with mine as well. :)
I LOVE the hara jerdoni! The danio eyrthromicron are beautiful as well, but Seriously Fish said they might interbreed with Danio margaritatus? If there's a way to KEEP that from happening, I think a school of each with some hara jerdoni at the bottom and a few Scarlet Badis as a centerpiece would be great for... you know... A DIFFERENT tank. >_<

Honestly, I can't thank you enough for all your help. :)

No problem at all! ;)

8 sounds great.

They may interbreed, but mine haven't. They are close relatives that look very similar, but I've never seen spawning behavior between them. I really wouldn't even mind if they did. Interbreeding would be more likely if you kept them together in small numbers though..they are more likley to stick with their own kind in a nice sized school. :)

Interbreeding would be more likely if you kept them together in small numbers though..they are more likley to stick with their own kind in a nice sized school. :)

I'm definitely going to keep that mind for a future tank. ^_^

Alrighty! I have the tank filled & I'm letting everything run to make sure it works right. I'll add ammonia starting tomorrow, and my fishless cycle will begin! :D

Soooooo excited!!

I had goldfish when I was little, and I've kept bettas (although, I now know I didn't keep them very well >_<), but this will be my first tropical tank. I had it all set up a few months ago and started cycling it, but never got to the "adding fish" part. :( Now that I'm moved & settled into the new place, I'm starting back at square one. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom