The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I so agree with you absolut!!! So much personality!!! Sometimes mine is yotally vertical, picking at a plant. And he does like a "swish" dance, slides against the glasd whenever im around!!! Your angel is a beut, i agree, he looks eveil with the red eyebrows!!

Update! :)

See, while everyone is busy, hustling and bustling, no one's noticed that for the past month...bruins has been wanting to change his stock plan :D

So absolutangel, will you take PayPal or Check for the 1$ I owe you for changing my stock list again? :)

Needless to say, I was no very happy with these bentosi and black neon tetras. DO NOT school, not to mention these bentosis started to be bullies. They would not only harass each other but the black neons and my GBR and cories as well. And at that point I started to notice some deformites in my black neon tetras. That was it.

So, traded them in, got store credit, got seven nice threadfin rainbows. Except when I got home...they were dead...

So, I want back the next day, wondering why they were dead. Could have been cold weather, bad stock (which the LFS denies, saying they had these for two months), too much movement, lack of O2, who knows? Either way, I think they got tired of trading fish with me. It was closing time, and they said this would be the last trade for fish I'd ever get, so, I said, "Why not just seven harlequin rasboras?" I guess they just wanted it to be done with because they were gonna close up, because instead of seven, the lady gave me 14 harlequin rasboras. WHAT!?!?!?!

So, after an hour of errands, I drip acclimated those harlequin rasboras. Two have died so far. One during acclimation, and one being picked on due to its deformed spine, it died (and found in the mouth of my GBR the next morning).

Next problem...these ARE NOT harlequin rasboras. Quite a few of them are harlequin rasboras, but the rest ARE NOT. The lady just hurried catching the fish, I suspect she didn't know there were two rasbora species in there. My guess is that these are espei rasboras. Will they survive with my angel? Panther is already big, he now has a new hobby: herd the rasboras. And since I can't trade these fish in, I AM STUCK.

Also, some more updates! :)

Wanted to start with the planted/aquascape side of my tank. When my ludwiga and rotala were not growing red, I asked around, and said that some liquid iron supplement, like Flourish Iron, was the best. Although I don't have a CO2 system yet, I am planning to save up for one. So far, the plants are growing a lot faster and showing some more red with the Flourish Iron.

If you are reading this, @aquachem, what would you do to help me with my Co2 situation? I don't think DIY CO2 is not an option because of the tank size, and I can't really spend another 200+ bucks on a CO2 system. What do you suggest?

I have been filling out my rotala "forest" on the left as well. Got a few more of the plants so that way the whole half left corner of the tank is covered in rotala. It's really nice IMO, and good for some cories to chillax under :)

ALSO

Got some nice driftwood. I felt that the center of the tank needed a focal point, so I decided to buy some driftwood. It looks kinda nice IMO, it goes to the top so that it's almost at the surface of the water, looks cool! :) Also have been threading java moss on there as well. So far, it looks like crap, but I hope it will eventually grow and blossom! Also, I added some java ferns and anubias on there as well. Hope they root! There's also a little opening under the driftwood, sort of like a cave. Here, it is only big enough for the cories to enter. It's like their private room for themselves! :)

That's it for now. Pics will come up soon! :)

Lolol!! Oh my gosh bruins, you are the KING of changing your stock!!! Hahaha!! But the plants sound really nice, and i am seriously awaiting the pics! Oh, and can we get your stock list again? Your tank seems full to the brim! :D

I will take either paypal or a check for the $1. Lol.
Sorry about the threadfins. That is really weird for them all to just drop dead.
As for the rasboras, you will just have to wait and see. I think the espei reach about 1.5 inches or so, right? Anyway, you will just have to wait and see how they do with the angel I guess. Some angels do ok when raised with smaller fish, and some do not. So, keep an eye on it and hope for the best.

I check this thread about once a month to see how it's coming. Today was just a lucky break :D

You shouldn't have to spend more than about $150 for an all brand new setup, but if you're willing to be patient, you might loiter around the plantedtank.net swap-and-shop section and wait for a CO2 system to come up. Someone had a regulator+tank+stuff for like $80 a while back, but was PU only in NY. Being in CA might help your case.

Milwaukee Regulators should be around $90 shipped.
I got my tank locally for $60 filled.
Glass diffuser should be cheap, but if you want something better, go for it.

The thing that helps rasboras (I think) isn't their length so much as their deeper body. Espei share that with their heteromorpha cousins (I think. Never see espei around here).

As far as iron, what's your KH/pH? Probably pretty soft?

aqua_chem said:
I check this thread about once a month to see how it's coming. Today was just a lucky break :D

You shouldn't have to spend more than about $150 for an all brand new setup, but if you're willing to be patient, you might loiter around the plantedtank.net swap-and-shop section and wait for a CO2 system to come up. Someone had a regulator+tank+stuff for like $80 a while back, but was PU only in NY. Being in CA might help your case.

Milwaukee Regulators should be around $90 shipped.
I got my tank locally for $60 filled.
Glass diffuser should be cheap, but if you want something better, go for it.

The thing that helps rasboras (I think) isn't their length so much as their deeper body. Espei share that with their heteromorpha cousins (I think. Never see espei around here).

As far as iron, what's your KH/pH? Probably pretty soft?

I didn't know you checked, but its nice to hear that you do :)

Okay, I will be looking around on the web for any deals I can get. So far the best deal I've found around here on a CO2 system is 120$.

Alright. I'll see if they do alright with the angel. So far they're down to ten, I hope they do okay.

Not sure about KH (is there any part of a liquid test kit that tests for it?) but last
time I checked the pH (bout a week ago) it was around 7.4-7.6.

Just Thought I'd Post Some Pics :)

Okay folks, you wanted some pics of the tank...here you are! They are full tank shots, and they are recent. Unfortunately, I have yet to learn how to speed up the shutter speed and not have it come out blurry. The pics are not how bright the tank is actually lit in real life. Enjoy! :)
As close as it gets to the real lighting.
img_1666488_0_a80c4683850a49b55ff2b7788994cce5.jpg

But this one looks a lot better I think.
img_1666488_1_cc8c77eec67008b5f78449eceeb40605.jpg

And finally, dimmest of all.
img_1666488_2_29e54b338e2b4f08f899f74f82f7b41f.jpg

Plant Progress...Ups and Downs

I did buy some Flourish Iron. I am not sure what my KH is aquachem unfortunately, so I don't know if it's working or not. But, I do have to say, the rotala did perk up quite a bit, lots of growth in a couple of days! :)
img_1666507_0_214bf94e23b81ac972b6cc5a6b956d0c.jpg

img_1666507_1_12257a97ad42d8e4a0f898f77774f67c.jpg

Unfortunately, my ludwiga is still struggling. At this point I'm not sure what to do with this plant.
img_1666507_2_c29bacec8c27c96c42ff184dee47fff1.jpg

bruinsbro1997 said:
Okay folks, you wanted some pics of the tank...here you are! They are full tank shots, and they are recent. Unfortunately, I have yet to learn how to speed up the shutter speed and not have it come out blurry. The pics are not how bright the tank is actually lit in real life. Enjoy! :)
As close as it gets to the real lighting.

But this one looks a lot better I think.

And finally, dimmest of all.

Looks GREAT!!! I love your anubias (right) forest on the left there!!! Questions, what type of sword is in the back middle? And what is in the middle foreground? Thanks, dude your tank is the bomb.

In Memoriam, RIP Guys

Unfortunately, not all has been going as well for the tank on the fish side as I have hoped. If you do happen to get a healthy, nice and well-fed gourami, beware. Those buggers are a lot nastier than you think.

Last night I noticed that my female gourami was being chased by my male, as they had just mated and he was building a bubble nest. I thought it was normal, and since she had a bunch of plants to hide in and the tank was big I left her alone.
This morning I found her dead, with nip marks all over her. Her tail was nipped off in certain places, and her top and bottom fins jagged. I gave her a proper funeral and buried her with the tomato plant.
Also, as of ten minutes ago...Panther, my angel, was found dead. He looked fine this morning, doing his usual behavior as always, so I assumed he was fine. Then I noticed all the nip marks around him too. His mouth was shredded, his long, graceful fins all nipped to pieces. I am truly going to miss this fish. I have never had an angel last more than a week, and I actually liked this one, which I had for three months now. I watched him grow up in the short time I had him and now...he's gone.

Huge sigh of regret. Now I notice that the GBR is being hasssled by my male gourami. I am starting to hate these fish just like those rummies a month ago. He's going out of the tank.

So, as of tomorrow, the stock list should look like:
X10 rasboras
X6 bronze cories
X1 GBR
X2 bettas

I'll leave it there for now. At this point I'm too unhappy and too out of money to buy any more fish. Perhaps I'll update when I eventually switch to PFS, add plants, and get my CO2 system. But for now, that's all I have left to say. I truly miss these fish, and I don't want to lose any more. I love you guys.

And now I officially hate these pics.
img_1666530_0_5d4206358ddd313080b266e3824e2b59.jpg

img_1666530_1_bdd5eabcc6fc71aab844b554d5ef9a37.jpg

Looks GREAT!!! I love your anubias (right) forest on the left there!!! Questions, what type of sword is in the back middle? And what is in the middle foreground? Thanks, dude your tank is the bomb.

Thanks! But that would actually be rotala :D

And that sword would actually be a hygrophillia :lol:

The middle ground plant, if you're referring to the one that has wavy leaves and looks sort of like a shrub, that would be crypt wendiiti green :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Unfortunately, not all has been going as well for the tank on the fish side as I have hoped. If you do happen to get a healthy, nice and well-fed gourami, beware. Those buggers are a lot nastier than you think.

Last night I noticed that my female gourami was being chased by my male, as they had just mated and he was building a bubble nest. I thought it was normal, and since she had a bunch of plants to hide in and the tank was big I left her alone.
This morning I found her dead, with nip marks all over her. Her tail was nipped off in certain places, and her top and bottom fins jagged. I gave her a proper funeral and buried her with the tomato plant.
Also, as of ten minutes ago...Panther, my angel, was found dead. He looked fine this morning, doing his usual behavior as always, so I assumed he was fine. Then I noticed all the nip marks around him too. His mouth was shredded, his long, graceful fins all nipped to pieces. I am truly going to miss this fish. I have never had an angel last more than a week, and I actually liked this one, which I had for three months now. I watched him grow up in the short time I had him and now...he's gone.

Huge sigh of regret. Now I notice that the GBR is being hasssled by my male gourami. I am starting to hate these fish just like those rummies a month ago. He's going out of the tank.

So, as of tomorrow, the stock list should look like:
X10 rasboras
X6 bronze cories
X1 GBR
X2 bettas

I'll leave it there for now. At this point I'm too unhappy and too out of money to buy any more fish. Perhaps I'll update when I eventually switch to PFS, add plants, and get my CO2 system. But for now, that's all I have left to say. I truly miss these fish, and I don't want to lose any more. I love you guys.

And now I officially hate these pics.

Wow man, i am so sorry. I have never heard of this much bad luck, and to have this happen so suddenly, i am actually sad. It is always terrrible to loose fish, but the bigger ones, like an angel or gourami, is about 5x as painful, i feel. Dont worry, i know you love to change stock, so this allows you an oppertunity to try somthing different. Not a fun way to trade in fish though..once again, so sorry.

Wow man, i am so sorry. I have never heard of this much bad luck, and to have this happen so suddenly, i am actually sad. It is always terrrible to loose fish, but the bigger ones, like an angel or gourami, is about 5x as painful, i feel. Dont worry, i know you love to change stock, so this allows you an oppertunity to try somthing different. Not a fun way to trade in fish though..once again, so sorry.

Thanks man :)

It does suck. Well, it's okay. At least I know they're happier without being bullied by that male gourami.

All I want to do for now is trade it. I'm going to do a bit more research now. See what I can find, look around.

Also find some more nice plants ;)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Thanks man :)

It does suck. Well, it's okay. At least I know they're happier without being bullied by that male gourami.

All I want to do for now is trade it. I'm going to do a bit more research now. See what I can find, look around.

Also find some more nice plants ;)

Ya know, i have been looking around for a honey gourami lately for my community because of this thread, and how well yours were doing. I guess that out haha

Yes, more plants. Always the answer haha

Well, you never know. You could have a whole different experience. Either way, whatever you choose as your next fish to your tank, best of luck! (y)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Well, you never know. You could have a whole different experience. Either way, whatever you choose as your next fish to your tank, best of luck! (y)

After yoir story, i dont think i will ever think of honeys the same! Ahah what about pearls?

Back
Top Bottom