The Forty Gallon Breeder Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry about all our fish. :( I do agree that losing some of those big, personable ones is a lot harder.
Has your honey calmed down at all now that he has no mate? I am really sorry, but those territorial fish are always hit and miss together. It often works, and I am sorry thats not the case for you.

Sorry to hear about your gourami and your angel! :( It seems you just can't get a break!

Edit: where do you plan on moving your gourami?

Sorry about all our fish. :( I do agree that losing some of those big, personable ones is a lot harder.
Has your honey calmed down at all now that he has no mate? I am really sorry, but those territorial fish are always hit and miss together. It often works, and I am sorry thats not the case for you.

Thank you :)
As a matter of fact, he has. And now I suspect the GBR, which is now chasing and nipping him. At this point I just want to get rid of those two altogether. Also, I noticed that the bettas are not getting along. One female has decided to be the dominant of the pair, so I am booting her out as well and the other betta is being demoted to a ten gallon I am planning on setting up.
Sorry to hear about your gourami and your angel! :( It seems you just can't get a break!

Edit: where do you plan on moving your gourami?

Thank you :)
Probably to a LFS. A different one at that.

Also, I plan on revising the stock list. Not now, just later. Because after I move all these fish, I'm back to:
-the original six bronze cories
-the new 14 (now 10) rasboras, 5/5 harlequin and espeis

So, I will see what I can do. I don't want to overstock or fully stock to max capacity. Rather, just make it into a nice, healthy aquascape with lucious plants and a few colorful fish. What fish? We'll see soon enough, because even I don't know the answer to that question ;)

But that won't be for awhile. Currently I'm trying to save as much cash as possible so that when Christmas comes, I'll be ready to cash in. So, other than a few posts, some new plants here and there, nothing will be happening with the tank for the next month or two.

Hope you're still following along! :)

I am so following. I definatly love your updates, even though they usually make me sad lol.

For your now stock...get a peacock eel!! Lol i realize thats not your style, but they are so cool! Mine is so personable, it swims through my hands, sniffs my fingers, so cool!!! I love mine and even hand feed him...just somthing to think about.

Dont give up bruins!!! Youll catch a break sooner or later!!!

I am so following. I definatly love your updates, even though they usually make me sad lol.

For your now stock...get a peacock eel!! Lol i realize thats not your style, but they are so cool! Mine is so personable, it swims through my hands, sniffs my fingers, so cool!!! I love mine and even hand feed him...just somthing to think about.

Dont give up bruins!!! Youll catch a break sooner or later!!!

Thanks! :)

Well..you are right. Peacock eels aren't my style :D Sorry, I'm just creeped out by them. They're like snakes in water. Meh, it's just me.

Any plans for plants?

Sorta. I bought some glossostigma a week or two ago and want to see how it does. My baby tears were plain awful and failing, so at that point I swapped them out. I want to see how it goes. Was also thinking more hygrophillia and some of that sunset hygra as well. Also crypts. We'll see where it goes.

K bro, how has the stock changed? Any thoughs swimmin around up there about the stock? Haha

K bro, how has the stock changed? Any thoughs swimmin around up there about the stock? Haha

Actually yes, yes it has. :)

So far, nothing moved. I am still trying to find time to actually move them to a LFS. I've decided to get rid of all the individual fish. So sometime this month, goodbye
X1 GBR
X1 gold honey gourami
X2 bettas
X1 betta that I never told you I got that I was nursing back to health in there before I put her in the ten gallon :}

Which will leave me with:
X6 bronze cories
X10 half-n-half espei and harlequin rasboras

Planning to add...
X4 bronze cories (just thought they would be happier with more)
X6 small group of cardinal tetras, see where that goes

That's all for now. I'm still not sure about what to do for a centerpiece fish, if I even want one at all, considering I've had my fair share of em. I'm thinking trying an angel again but am not sure about it.

Meh.

I don't want another Panther. Which is why I am so against this angelfish. And because getting angels may compromise my stock yet again.

I was thinking just make this a schooler tank, with a pair centerpiece.

But, because you all know this Bruin is indecisive, this probably isn't going to happen until for two or so months.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Meh.

I don't want another Panther. Which is why I am so against this angelfish. And because getting angels may compromise my stock yet again.

I was thinking just make this a schooler tank, with a pair centerpiece.

But, because you all know this Bruin is indecisive, this probably isn't going to happen until for two or so months.

Ya man, maybe get some larger schoolers so when you change your mind and actually want another angel, you wouldnt have to swap fish again....APISTOS!!! oh my pm HN1 or SM about etting one from them! Or a croaking gourami! I think either would be a nice addition :)

Ya man, maybe get some larger schoolers so when you change your mind and actually want another angel, you wouldnt have to swap fish again....APISTOS!!! oh my pm HN1 or SM about etting one from them! Or a croaking gourami! I think either would be a nice addition :)

I was considering them, but then I thought about it, looked and realized that they sold out of the apistos I kinda wanted :(

I was considering getting another angel, philippine blue, but all the ones around here are veiltail philippine blues, which I don't think my tank is big enough because of their extra finnage.

I suggest a paradise fish. Just 1, and no other potentially territorial fish. :)

Okay, well...this is what I have planned so far:
x6 bronze cories
x10 espei rasboras
x1 paradisefish (thanks for the suggestion :))

I'm not planning on adding any new fish soon, probably sometime around when Winter Break starts for me.

I don't feel the need to add anything else. I am just seeing if you have any suggestions. I have no personal preference for fish right now and am open to any schooling fish you have that would be fine in a group of six :)

Well scratch the paradise fish, it's not going to like 80 F water after reading around the forums.

Pearl gouramis?

BTW, just when I thought of
Yesterday,
When all my troubles were so far away,

And that BBA was gone on my Ludwiga with Excel (although I know this is not a long term solution, still looking for that cheap CO2 system :)) now we have hair algae on that darn plant. Gah. What to do???????

Hair algae? Excel it. Still there? Excel it harder.

I melted off a tank of hair algae (autodoser mishap) after a week by dosing excel at recommended levels. Honestly I'm surprised you have hair algae even growing in excel treated water.

Hair algae? Excel it. Still there? Excel it harder.

I melted off a tank of hair algae (autodoser mishap) after a week by dosing excel at recommended levels. Honestly I'm surprised you have hair algae even growing in excel treated water.

I'm not sure why I have it either. I'm starting Excel treatment today. Maybe it was because I didn't dose yesterday or turn on the lights, who knows?

Back
Top Bottom