Discus introduction/aggression problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a cycled 60 gallon tank. Ammonia-0, nitrite-0, and nitrates-5. I have had two discus in it for a while and I added three new discus two days ago. The old discus relentlessly attacked(biting/tail hitting) and chased the new ones even with plenty of hiding places. I finally had to quarantine the two aggressive ones in a separate tank as the new fish were showing signs of serious distress.
The three new guys are now swimming, exploring, and eating fine. They all have developed a little bit of white fungus and their fins are fraying. I know this is stress induced disease and developed from being transported and then attacked by the other fish. I dipped all three in a potassium permanganate bath to try and knock it out since these are otherwise healthy fish. The white fungus can still be seen a little bit but my question is should I do any thing else or will they recover after the dip and living in a stress free environment. These are pricey fish so I don't want to take chances.

Back
Top Bottom