Should I start over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bloodlucky

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have posted maybe 5+ full essay length threads before, so I'll try to keep this summary to a minim but in short, an unidentified disease has caused probably around $75-100 of damage due to multiple failed attempts at medicating and losing exotic fish to it. It only infected one host at a time, as I could tell after watching maybe almost 20 fish die, that there was a pattern that only one would begin to "waste away" in the stomach until it was nothing but a shriveled carcass, and then the next fish would begin to waste away, then the next one, etc. It was recently brought to my attention by a user and a huge amount of research that it is most likely fish TB, which can infect humans as well and is pretty much unkillable unless you euthanize all fish and apply a special chemical that is designed for pretty much nuking everything alive, since not even bleach works on fish TB. Of course, the risk of "missing a spot" and having the disease start all over again after restarting your tank ($150+ of new uninfected equipment, nitrogen cycle, setting up) would make one consider just buying a whole new set up entirely, save the aquarium stand.

However, after losing so many fish to this disease, I could pretty much identify the disease in its earliest stages in a host, where barely anything looks wrong with the fish. I decided to quarantine an unlucky gold barb (the third one of its species to fall victim) and about a week and a half later, it died in quarantine with a completely inverted stomach. (Pic below)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405631655.658558.jpg

This was about a month and a half ago, and strangely enough since then I haven't seen a single fish show any signs of any illnesses, of course by fish I mean the lucky 2 gold barbs (out of 5), 1 danio (out of 6), 1 neon (out of six) and 3 kuhli loaches who appear untouched the whole time. I decided to do some further research and I read somewhere (reliable) that the disease is transmitted by other fish pecking at the sick or deceased body, which would make sense since tuberculosis doesn't exactly "chase" it's subjects. The website also stated that out of sheer common sense, it's evident that one organism could be a fatal victim to the disease while all other members of the tank are completely unharmed, that is until it's someone else's "turn" to get TB. So putting the pieces together, I've concluded that it's likely that when I quarantined the gold barb about a month and a half ago before it was barely showing signs of sickness, the TB went with him, so although I didn't exactly "kill" TB I still managed to move it out of my primary tank. Like I said it's been a month and a half since then, but I'm reluctant to introducing new fish for two reasons, the first being that in the event that the disease is still in the tank, I don't want to be adding more victims, and the second reason being that I sort of want to start over my stock, start fresh. I've considered a few options. Assuming that I wait it out or a few more weeks and observe closely for any signs of TB and the coast is clear I could consider

1. Turning in all my "rescued" fish to LFS near my area and look into a new stock
2. (My less favorite option) wait until all the fish just die of old age, I guess, but downsides would be that there would be an inadequate number of each species of schooling fish in the tank, and I would be stuck with a miserable handful of random survivors of practically an apocalypse.
3. (Most extreme, but completely annihilates risk of TB relapse) euthanize all surviving fish, throw out all equipment and start from scratch.

This is a very tough situation. As you can see pretty much every solution has a downside. If I add fish, I put the survivors back into adequate schooling numbers but I risk the chance of giving TB even more victims in the off chance it's still in my tank. If I don't add fish and wait it out until everyone dies out of other causes, the survivors will be miserable until then. If I euthanize everything there's a huge chance in putting perfectly healthy lives to an end. I really don't know what to do from here.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would like to say that this is indeed a very long thread, and I'm sorry to demand so much but the best way to help is by reading everything. If it's not worth your time I completely understand. This is the internet, there are always other people out there.

I have never dealt with TB in a tank before. I am a RN in a hospital so I have dealt with people infected with it and that sounds like a scary thing to have in your fish tank! If your fish are no longer symptomatic/dying you could try adding a few new fish and see how everything goes. Personally if I believed I most likely had TB in my tank I would get rid of everything. I love all my fish so I feel for you in your dilemma but if my health is in question then the fish come second.

I have never dealt with TB in a tank before. I am a RN in a hospital so I have dealt with people infected with it and that sounds like a scary thing to have in your fish tank! If your fish are no longer symptomatic/dying you could try adding a few new fish and see how everything goes. Personally if I believed I most likely had TB in my tank I would get rid of everything. I love all my fish so I feel for you in your dilemma but if my health is in question then the fish come second.

This is why I considered my third option, but of course then again if the disease is gone then why bother beating a dead horse, right? I guess my biggest conflict here is that there's really no way of knowing its completely gone without risking lives of more fish. :(

Loaches are probably fine though. I havethis combo of fish too. Barbs are the most leikly to cause, cuz they peck. Loaches are sneaks and are much less likely to have come into contact with diseased fish, thats why yours survived, my oppinion. Getting rid of healthy loaches seems cruel and wasteful. Evaluate other fish as you will.

Loaches are probably fine though. I havethis combo of fish too. Barbs are the most leikly to cause, cuz they peck. Loaches are sneaks and are much less likely to have come into contact with diseased fish, thats why yours survived, my oppinion. Getting rid of healthy loaches seems cruel and wasteful. Evaluate other fish as you will.

I read this on the same website too, a user said that somehow all of his corydoras survived the whole thing without a sign of stress. I will probably donate them to my reliable LFS

I would say maybe add just a couple new fish and test it for a while. It sounds like you "beat" it like you said but instead of risking a whole lot of new ones try just a couple?

I read this on the same website too, a user said that somehow all of his corydoras survived the whole thing without a sign of stress. I will probably donate them to my reliable LFS

Not suree what u meant about the same website, but i have similar asian setup. My gold barbs are like piranahs, but the loaches dont mess withother fish, not sure about cories. I would think they migh eat dead fish.

I appreciate everyone's help so far. I think I'm leaning towards starting everything new, buying a new tank, filter, everything. There are surprisingly a number or fish stores near my area, and if they won't take my fish for credit, I'm still more than happy to give them away for free. Just as long as they don't fall into the hands of those dreaded pet chain stores.

I guess it's a combination of paranoia on my part. This voice keeps screaming in my head that I just can't risk another outbreak since I lost so much from the first time it came around. Even if there's a 0.000009% chance it could happen, I think id rather go the extra distance to avoid, even if it means spending extra money, because at least I'll know it would be for the last time.

My plan is to get these survivors turned into a store this weekend that'll put me under good care, then I'll take the whole thing down I guess. Since there's no trace of the disease in the organisms so far, the threat (assuming there is one) could be dormant in the tank. I guess it's better to act now than sit around waiting for the disease to possibly attack again. On the bright side I'm looking towards buying a green spotted puffer as my next stock, which requires pretty much a new tank set up anyway, including new substrate, decor, etc that match it's requirements. There's no reason in not spending a few more bucks on a new tank if it means being completely sure the disease is OUT.

If everything goes as planned I won't have to worry about having possible TB in my room at all by the beginning of next week. Then I guess I'll buy a new 40 gal, new filter, and start cycling. I'll post another thread about media sources once I get to that step. Thanks for your imput so far, all of you.

Something to think about- did you use tap water? I am sure you tested the levels of all that but is it something in the tap? Might want to consider buying water or getting it from someone who is on a different source than you of you really are starting over

Something to think about- did you use tap water? I am sure you tested the levels of all that but is it something in the tap? Might want to consider buying water or getting it from someone who is on a different source than you of you really are starting over

I always use the conditioner by Aqueon (add proper amount per bucket) with every water change, sometimes co2 and medicines like coppersafe (which failed to rid of the disease, much like every other attempted solution)

Hmmmm. Our tap had super low ph to start so we've mostly stuck with tetras because of that. We decided it wasn't worth the fight and risk of the ph jumping all over.

Hmm. No fish stores in my area take my fish. I have no idea what to do. For now I'm suspended with an inadequate stock that I don't even want.

I had a few fish waste away and get bent spines a couple months back. No one else in the tank have gotten it since. Have you considered just being patient for 2-3 weeks and make sure no one else gets sick? Fish TB sounds scary with all you read about it on the internet, but it's supposed to be pretty rare. It's not going to hurt you unless you stick your hand in the tank with an open wound of some kind, which I would advise against no matter how healthy your tank is.

If you really want to get rid of your current fish, and don't want to euthanize, another option is offering them up in the Classified section here. Just be painfully honest about the tank they came from and maybe point them to this thread? You never know, someone with a quarantine tank may take them off your hands for the price of shipping.

I had a few fish waste away and get bent spines a couple months back. No one else in the tank have gotten it since. Have you considered just being patient for 2-3 weeks and make sure no one else gets sick? Fish TB sounds scary with all you read about it on the internet, but it's supposed to be pretty rare. It's not going to hurt you unless you stick your hand in the tank with an open wound of some kind, which I would advise against no matter how healthy your tank is.

If you really want to get rid of your current fish, and don't want to euthanize, another option is offering them up in the Classified section here. Just be painfully honest about the tank they came from and maybe point them to this thread? You never know, someone with a quarantine tank may take them off your hands for the price of shipping.

I didn't even know that section existed! I very well might although I have to say I have never shipped anything live before, or anything for that matter. I'm only 16 haha. I may very well have to, though.

I think the last poster is right- wait the 2-3 weeks and if nothing pops up again you're probably good to add more

First, in my opinion it is wrong to give the fish to an LFS, b/c you are putting the tanks at the LFS and the next purchaser at risk for TB. In fact, if a LFS took your fish, would you even consider buying from them again? I wouldn't.

So, if you don't want the fish, I believe you should euthanize them with clove oil and then decapitate them and put them in the garbage, not the local water system.

The happier point is that you can salvage almost every nonliving thing via boiling.

I had a snail outbreak and due to allergies had to disassemble my tank. I filled a soup pot from the dollar store with water and boiled it. I boiled the sand. I boiled the lava rocks ( which was dangerous b/c rocks can explode when boiled), and using tongs, I dipped and held all my filter parts in the boiling water. One part of one filter got mis-shapen, but I redipped it and reshaped it back to usable.

( I cloroxed my entire tank 1st for over 2 hrs at 30% Clorox, b4 boiling what was boilable. The article I cite at the bottom suggests Clorox, too. But, if you've read Clorox won't work forget it. )

If you can deal with things as they are, I would just add a UV sanitizer and watch for awhile.

Otherwise, I would suggest euthanize all, run full course of TB killing antibiotics though the tank at same dosage as if the fish were in there. (see below; that will take 3 months). And, afterwards, boil anything boilable. Then, recycle the tank and begin again.

If you are not going to treat the tank then ethically you should smash it up good b4 putting it in a dumpster and definitely not reselling it to anyone for fish or amphibians.

Updating: Suggested treatment 2 different antibiotics ( one being kanamycin) over the course of 3 months. ( continuing search for info ... Will continue to update )

http://www.aquarium-pond-answers.com/2012/04/tb-in-fish-mycobacterium-tuberculosis.html?m=1
Below quoted from above link:

"The three most proven antibiotic methods, which can and should be used in a combination of two of these drugs along with the other described alternative treatments:
*Kanamycin (Kanaplex)
*Neomycin
*Isoniazid (from Aquarium Medications Part 2)

A forth consideration, albeit less field tested (it does show lab results though) is Usnea, which from my experience should only be administered in a "Fish Bath" form for 30 minutes. Methylene Blue should also be used in this bath, but no other antibiotics should be used in this bath with Usena.
These baths can be rotated; meaning one bath with Usena and Methylene Blue and the next bath with MB along with one or two of the other antibiotics, then back to the Usnea

Usnea is best as a used as a bath ALONG with an in tank treatment with one of the first three noted medications (or better hospital tank).
Further Information: Organic Fish Treatments; Usnea

And finally, a fifth consideration is Allicin, the active ingredient in Garlic. Mycobacterium marinum) has been demonstrated to be effectively treated with Allicin.
SeaChem Garlic Guard can be used in a fish food slurry preparation and mixed with both Neomycin and Kanamycin for improving the potential effectiveness of tuberculosis treatment."

Also, from same link. Your healthy fish should be watched for 3 weeks.

Best of luck!

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

First of all, I am very sorry that you have had this experience! It is pretty crumby to watch fish all waste away one by one. I know it is both emotionally and financially frustrating.
So, onto the helpful part. First off, fish TB is an option, but the only way to actually know you have that and not a different disease/parasite is to send a fish corpse to a lab and get it tested. If you don't that, you honestly have no way of knowing you ever even had TB and not just a nasty parasitic infection or some such thing.
If you are fairly sure you had, TB, I fail to see how donating the fish away is a good option for anybody. If you think you have an issue that has the potential to make other animals and people sick, I really can't condone just giving all the fish away.
If the fish you have now seem to be healthy enough to go elsewhere, then why are they not healthy enough for you to keep in your own tank and continue like normal? True fish TB is VERY rare. If you think you have a health hazard on your hands, why would you donate the fish to somebody else? Also, I agree that I would avoid that store in the future. Since everything now seems fine, and you treated and have qt'd fish, I would break down the tank and clean everything to best of your ability. It is a good idea to do that after a disease outbreak anyways.
Apologies for not being fully familiar with the situation, but it sounds like you have treated the fish, and now you have had no issues for over a month. Is that correct? I hate ending lives, but I will have to agree that if you are certain about TB I think you need to either keep the fish you have and deal with the situation or else euthanize them all and clean your things. I really don't think it is ethical at all to donate fish you believe have been exposed to TB.
If every thing continues to go well, and you are not having anymore issues and believe the disease is gone, I would try adding a few more fish (from a different store!) and seeing how it goes. Still, be cautious. Use gloves. Clean everything.

Do you have a UV Filter in the tank? I checked and they do work on TB in the water. I think I would get one. Then try to add 1 or 2 fish before killing anything I had.

UV filters won't cure infected fish, but it does seem to kill a lot of stuff that is in the water. I had a nasty bout of columnaris and I put one on the tank that had it. I did treat the tank with medicine after all the fish died and drained most of the water. But I didn't boil the gravel or objects or throw out the plants.

All I did was add a UV filter before I got new fish. (Hey, it was my first tank and the first fish I added - I was stupid). It worked. I have never had an issue with columnaris since then. And it is not that expensive. They have them on Amazon for $42

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Killing...1406338460&sr=8-1&keywords=UV+filter+aquarium

Back
Top Bottom