Should I start over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello everyone. I am really disappointed to say that the last surviving danio died today, which is pretty much the last straw for me. Since I read online that loaches are a rare exception and don't get affected by the disease, I will be eradicating them to a temporary 2.5 gal while I empty and tear down my 40, and replace the entire tank to get rid of that darn thing. I'll be euthanizing the remaining neon and two barbs before it's too late. Does anyone know what I Gould use to freeze them? My dad has been euthanizing sick fish like this for a long time but he says he doesn't remember what he put them in to freeze. It's been a long battle and I finally found a solution without an easy way out, but then again nothing worth it ever is; am I right, boys?

Or would you recommend the UV filter after euthanizing? I just don't want any risks and if it means buying a new tank and recycling the water I am perfectly fine with it. No more TB. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh and one more issue. I still have a lot of live plants left. If anyone knows what I should do with them... I heard they can also be "carriers." Is there a such thing is plant euthanasia? Boy this is really gonna be hard to do tomorrow, emotionally

As awful as it sounds probably just throwing them in the trash. :/ I don't think there is really anything for plants. The other option could be just having a vase full of aquarium plants sitting on a table somewhere. (Assuming they are low maintenance ones)

Another thought- since loaches don't really get the disease keep that aquarium up with the loaches and the plants and then just start another for community if you have the space

Another thought- since loaches don't really get the disease keep that aquarium up with the loaches and the plants and then just start another for community if you have the space

The problem is that I don't have any space left :(

Also the disease could still stick around in the tank and simply wait for a fish that isn't immune. It really is a shame we don't know much about TB. Imagine the difference in a hundred years. Fish medication will be almost as sophisticated as human medicines present day!

Boo for no space but I hear you on that one. We'd probably have a ton more tanks if we had the space! I have so many ideas.....

Boo for no space but I hear you on that one. We'd probably have a ton more tanks if we had the space! I have so many ideas.....

Agreed. Not to mention the economy has been quite a meanie to my family lately.

Also I was wondering, if you know what I should do with my plants? I hear they can spread disease as well and serve as "carriers." Either way a puffer or a blood parrot would tear up the plants I have left. so many dilemmas

I'm sorry. I think tossing the plants out is safest. You can dip plants in Clorox, but you mentioned clorox didn't work to kill that particular bacterium.

http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/information-on-getting-rid-of-unwanted-snails.html

"Bleach (Chlorine) Dip

This is a more effective and sure-fire way to kill snails and algae. It is also very easy to kill the plant in the process. Regular household bleach (i.e. Clorox) is diluted to a 5% (19 parts water to 1 part bleach) solution in a bucket. It's good to have a second bucket filled with rinse water containing 3X the normal dechlor. Dip large leaf plants for 3 minutes, immediately move to the dechlor rinse water, then rinse under running tap water for a few seconds, if you still smell chlorine, repeat the rinse process again. For small delicate leaf plants and mosses dip for only 2 minutes in the bleach. To be safe, add dechlor to the tank after adding the plants back. Also, if your dipping a lot of plants you may need to add more dechlor to your rinse water. Remember, the bleach dip is a last resort solution. It can kill your plants! Use the same caution handling bleach as recommended for Potassium Permanganate. "

As for Euthanizing there is a sticky I think at the beginning of Unhealthy Fish that describes all the methods.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

I'm sorry. I think tossing the plants out is safest. You can dip plants in Clorox, but you mentioned clorox didn't work to kill that particular bacterium.

http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/information-on-getting-rid-of-unwanted-snails.html

"Bleach (Chlorine) Dip

This is a more effective and sure-fire way to kill snails and algae. It is also very easy to kill the plant in the process. Regular household bleach (i.e. Clorox) is diluted to a 5% (19 parts water to 1 part bleach) solution in a bucket. It's good to have a second bucket filled with rinse water containing 3X the normal dechlor. Dip large leaf plants for 3 minutes, immediately move to the dechlor rinse water, then rinse under running tap water for a few seconds, if you still smell chlorine, repeat the rinse process again. For small delicate leaf plants and mosses dip for only 2 minutes in the bleach. To be safe, add dechlor to the tank after adding the plants back. Also, if your dipping a lot of plants you may need to add more dechlor to your rinse water. Remember, the bleach dip is a last resort solution. It can kill your plants! Use the same caution handling bleach as recommended for Potassium Permanganate. "

As for Euthanizing there is a sticky I think at the beginning of Unhealthy Fish that describes all the methods.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Thank you so much. I don't think I actually have a snail problem anymore, the last I saw of them was maybe 6 months ago. I'm not sure if I have all these things though. Could I also just throw away the plants in a separate bag?

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you had snails. I just copied and pasted how to do a Clorox dip to possibly kill all the bacteria on the plants. I didn't want to explain it incorrectly.

I don't see any problem tossing them in the trash. I didn't know if they were valuable and you wanted to try saving them.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that you had snails. I just copied and pasted how to do a Clorox dip to possibly kill all the bacteria on the plants. I didn't want to explain it incorrectly.

I don't see any problem tossing them in the trash. I didn't know if they were valuable and you wanted to try saving them.

Friend of Bill W.
One day at a time

Thank you! I completely understand. I have done so. Now to start fresh. Ahhhh... :)

Back
Top Bottom