sick discus :( a little long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcarlilesiu

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everybody... i have a tank with 6 juvenile discus in it. About 2 to 3 inches in diameter. I was observing the tank the other day and I noticed a white splotch on one of my blue diamonds head. Further observation showed the fish appeared to be darker in color. I had just finished installing a new tank of CO2 the day previous and got my CO2 concentration up to about 30 ppm. I did some trimming in the tank, and fed the fish a cucumber which they thourghly enjoyed.

The next day, the lesion on the blue diamond appeared faded and his colors were back to normal. (yesterday) This morning before work I was observing yet again, and this same fish was in the back of the tank looking out the back. His colors appeared normal but the white splotch was still there (about the size of a dime or a little smaller) Further viewing showed by other blue diamond had a very small splotch on his dorsal fin where it meets the body at his head.

So I am pretty sure I have a minor bacteria infection. If you think differently let me know. Is the best method to apply some salt to the tank before I resort to antibiotics or a fungal/bacteria medication. I don't have a hospital tank so not sure what to do, or how to deal with this. How can i be sure that these white splotes aren't a minor injury from scraping something or nipping each other (they are still a bit aggressive and establishing a pecking order)?

Tank Maintance

well established 56 gallon tall planted w/ pressurized CO2

ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 15 (a bit high but i just dosed for plants)
phosphates: 2 ppm
ph: 6.6 - 6.8
KH: 4 degrees
temp: 85F

I do about 40-50% water change twice a week, thus why I have to dose nitrates a little.

Any help or ideas on the coarse of action I could take would be greatly appreciated.

What I do when my discus show any signs of anything abnormal is do a water change even if I have just done one very recently. Salt could well harm your plants so I am not sure you want to add it. A QT is best to be safe if you can set one up even with a rubbermaid container and heater and airstone. That way you could treat the affected discus and not treat completely healthy discus. I personally don't add salt to my discus tank. I have used epsom salt but not aquarium salt. BrianNY is much more educated on discus care. You could pm him and ask his opinion.

what about eating habits and pooping color and habits.
I only seen one discus get sick. He started turning dark and hidng in the corner... he would look colorful sometimes but always be dark overall.
I first would do the above advice.
salt ,waterchange.
Then a picture of the discus and the white patch (and maybe cause we just want to see all ur beautiful fish)
just watch for other signs.. not eating, staying in the corner, poop turning white and jelly like.
it could be something else worse. I have nothing to base this on except the part about hiding in the corner with the skin stuff. just reminded me of mine when all he did was hide.
SO just keep an eye out and dont worry someone will be here to help. just update us on whats happening so we all can help. goodluck

Back
Top Bottom