Two New Female Rams w/White Spots - Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just purchased 2 female rams from my lfs and as of this morning, one has a white spot, it's not really protruding on the left side of her head and there's all a spot on her tail. I'm also just noticing a white spot on the other female. The spots, especially the one on the side of her head looks to large to be ICK, but I'm not 100% sure. Becuase I have plants in this tank (10 gallon), I don't want to dose anything that might hurt them.

I'm also wondering whether or not to just bring them back to the store, I really don't want to deal with this stuff and don't want to infect my 3 apistos who are also in this tank. They are juvenilees so still small. The rams are small too.

I just dosed some Primafix becuase it's natural and it does look like a fungus. Does anyone else have any thoughts on what this might be and what I might try that won't hurt the plants?

Thanks!
Linda

If you just bought them and they are still in the warranty period I would return them. GBRs are sensitive little fish and dont respond to treatment very well. I wouldn't risk keeping them especially if you have other young fish in the tank.

You are facing a double-edged sword. Even if you take them back, chances are very good that whatever it is has probably infected the tank already.

Taking them back without knowing what it is will force you to treat an unknown illness. Can you QT these guys and keep them under observation?

If you do return them, you will need to keep an eye on the tank for awhile in case it has spread.

The one with the white spot on the side of her head and tail died yesterday and the other one seems to be doing a lot better, I've been dosing the tank with natural medication, Primafix and Melafix, I've always been pretty lucky with this stuff. She's swimming around pretty actively, eating and has good color, there might be a tiny speck of whatever this was, looks like a little tiny piece of lint on her tail, but it also could be a nip from the apisto male, he's been chasing her because he considers this his territory.

I eventually want to add her to my 29 gallon with the male ram, who's a bit loney after loosing his mate a week ago. This will not be for at least a week mabye two, Iwant to keep her under observation and make sure she's okay first. I don't have another tank to QT her in, too bad, but then again, if this is something contagious, they have probably already been affected, hopefully it's not.

Rams, I love them to death but the females have been so problematic for me, where the males have been so much hardier.

Back
Top Bottom