Wasting Disease Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill2183

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have experience with wasting disease. I had a zebra that began swimming erratically and refusing to eat. After a week or two the weight loss was significant. I had to put her down.

I have noticed my red wagtail platy, (the pig of the tank) is not eating and looking a bit smaller and less active.

From what I have read it looks like wasting disease or fish TB. Does anyone know of any treatments? I do not have a hospital tank so if I do treat it will have to be all of the fish.

I do not think she is too far gone at this point. I have added some salt to the water and increased the oxygen.

Any suggestions would be appreciated she is a favorite fish of my kids and I would hate to loose her.

I have a skinny platy in QT (see sig). I don't know if it's TB or wasting disease, or something else. She's been skinny like that for months now - at least 2 1/2 months anyway. She had fry, then just kept getting skinnier and skinnier. I have got opinions from all the LFS around here, and tried everything available (antibiotics, medicated food...). The good news is, she hasn't gotten skinnier in the past month. But she doesn't look normal yet either. Right now I'm trying Hexamit (?) and I've just finished the first course - they say to do the 3-day treatment 3 times.

I thought about putting her down too, and I probably would have if I thought she was suffering. She behaves normally, and other than the fact that she's a little hollow-bellied, and that I've spent probably $65+ for meds on this little $3 fish, she seems okay.

I have also noticed that her scales look dirty or like they have some algae on top.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Please advise.

I've had that prob too! Nobody was able to help me with that one. I treated with antibiotics, and the dirty scales came back. Please be sure to let us know if you find something that works.

Today I noticed her swimming slowly to the top of the tank, then letting herself fall to the bottom.

She is still not eating, and now it looks as if her tail is pointing down. her tail is not up and spread wide as it had been in the past. It is narrow. :(

I am going to go to the lfs and see about some antibiotics and price a smaller tank for future quarantine/treatment purposes. I hope this does not spread to the other fish in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom