Can anyone ID these worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I noticed these guys last night, however tonight it seems like we have more of them. They are all housed inside the same little cave, however two come out one side and another two come out the other side (left and right side of the pic). I was starting to wonder if maybe it was some sort of starfish, however i don't think so as it has never come all the way out of the cave and i figured if it was a star it would come out at some stage to feed.

Attachments

• worms.jpg
    worms.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 78
That is actually a mini brittle star and what you are seeing is it's legs. You may never see it's body as they like to hang out in the rocks. :)

Really? I had another brittle that came with my live rock, however he has decided to drop off all his legs and now i have 3 brittle starfish legs roaming my tank. He was ALOT bigger than this one though....

Here's a pic of my other brittle star before he decided to cut himself up. I never really got a good pic of him, however his 3 legs are still roaming my tank. Even though they have no body portion.

Really? I had another brittle that came with my live rock, however he has decided to drop off all his legs and now i have 3 brittle starfish legs roaming my tank. He was ALOT bigger than this one though....

Here's a pic of my other brittle star before he decided to cut himself up. I never really got a good pic of him, however his 3 legs are still roaming my tank. Even though they have no body portion.

Those are probably actually Bristle Worms.... Roaming around in your tank.... But I could be wrong....:)

Nah they aren't bristle worms.....He was actually a starfish, i saw him plenty of times, i had him out walking in the open in my tank, and then slowly i watched as he broke up...I figured me feeding the tank ammonia didn't do him any good..but i had already fed it before he just happened to show up in my live rock.

I am positive the critter in your first pic (and second) is a brittle star. You may catch him out during the evening hours but I wouldn't count on it.

Thanks Fluff :)

There's another one in another hole on that same rock, much much smaller though. I'm kind of glad they are brittle's since my other one sort of died :) I had a brittle starfish infected rock!!!

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom