possible clam?? and something else...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elise

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well i was at the book store yesterday and i was looking at this saltwater encyclopedia book and i stumbled across a clam type thing that looks similar to what came on my Liverock a few weeks ago.. i didnt pay much attention to it because i thought it was dead.. [today i saw it pinch its mouth down - it was only open 1milimeter at the most, but i still saw it move lol]

I know i could always go back to the book store to see what it is.
but do any of you have any idea what it is? is it just a clam?
I searched for clams and scallops but none of them looked like this.

in the book it said they were rare.. but i dont know..
(its the 2nd pic)
The first pic has the clam thing And another weird jelly looking creature that came on the rock. I know its not dead, because the tips are starting to look better - it was in rough shape when it arrived. Anyone have any idea what it is?
(dont mind the other pests on that rock)

The bottom pic is a spiny or thorny oyster...filter feeder, fairly hardy. Do a search in google images to see some more pics. I had one in my tank until a vacation evaporation problem took it out...and the top pic I can't really make out...sorry.

Second the spiny/thorny oyster. The first pick, by my guess is either a porifora (sponge) or some sort of an encrusting cniderian. Look at it closely. If it has polyps then its a cniderean, if it only has pores, then its probably a sponge. However, I have noticed that you have a lot of aptesia, and I would suggest taking swift and decisive action to erradicate them.

Andrej

Back
Top Bottom