new diy filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make one with pvc, its cheap and it will be watertight.

Mlani said:
How big is your tank!? These filters are designed to do whole houses. They're not small.

My fry tank would fill that thing with fish poo in a week. -maybe not a week but you know what I mean:)

Are those things used for filtering out drinking water impurities?...if so, the difference is night and day.

Don't get me wrong... It is fine to use and looks good, but, if used on a tank with a heavy bioload you'd just end up cleaning it more often than a larger canister would need.

TankBoss said:
My fry tank would fill that thing with fish poo in a week. -maybe not a week but you know what I mean:)

Are those things used for filtering out drinking water impurities?...if so, the difference is night and day.

Don't get me wrong... It is fine to use and looks good, but, if used on a tank with a heavy bioload you'd just end up cleaning it more often than a larger canister would need.

That's fine if you don't think it will work for you. It works for me and my discus tank too. Just wanted to share an idea that might have helped.

Mlani said:
That's fine if you don't think it will work for you. It works for me and my discus tank too. Just wanted to share an idea that might have helped.

My last post states clearly that I agree it works.

The point I was making is that just because it can filter mass quantities of drinking water doesn't mean it can handle a huge bioload from a fish tank.

I also thanked you for sharing. I may use one of those things if the size suits my project.

Ummm....even the largest HOB has less room for material than this canister so I think it should work well especially if the water flow is adequate. I'm beginning to wonder why anyone shares their ideas on this forum....they're always shot down.

Jill said:
Ummm....even the largest HOB has less room for material than this canister so I think it should work well especially if the water flow is adequate. I'm beginning to wonder why anyone shares their ideas on this forum....they're always shot down.

Haha! Nobody is shooting down your idea!

Jill said:
What idea? I sure as heck didn't post MINE...I wouldn't DARE!!! lol

Oops wrong person

Doesn't change the fact that I wasn't poo pooing anybody's idea. Some people just can't be corrected ;)

And why "wouldn't you dare!"? Seems kind of extreme. I'd like to hear some of your ideas.

TankBoss said:
Some people just can't be corrected ;)

Wow, I came online to apologize for possibly misinterpreting your tone with the previous posts. I am quite capable and even willing to admit when I'm wrong and have no troubles accepting being "corrected" as you say. I do however find it difficult to take some people who have the "mightier than thou" attitude. Maybe it's your delivery? Or follow up statements that make it difficult?? Either way I don't feel it necessary to fill this thread with more comments based upon what should've been a simple suggestion that may or may not work for someone else. I call a truce? Let's get this thread back on topic ok?

Mlani said:
Wow, I came online to apologize for possibly misinterpreting your tone with the previous posts. I am quite capable and even willing to admit when I'm wrong and have no troubles accepting being "corrected" as you say. I do however find it difficult to take some people who have the "mightier than thou" attitude. Maybe it's your delivery? Or follow up statements that make it difficult?? Either way I don't feel it necessary to fill this thread with more comments based upon what should've been a simple suggestion that may or may not work for someone else. I call a truce? Let's get this thread back on topic ok?

Sure thing.

I'm actually very interested in your filter set-up. I wanted to ask you how you routed your intake and exhaust.
I've seen a lot of DIY canister filters that connect the intake to the outside of the bottom, and then, send it, through a hose, out of the top of the canister.
I don't see that on yours so I'm wondering if you did it the hard way? Like, run the intake through the top but feed the water to the bottom through some pipe work?

I'll take some pics to show you what I did and try to explain. I have an external pump (all the parts are what I could scrounge up around my house, my hubbys a plumber) I have a bio sponge on the base of the 3/4 PVC pipe inside my tank for the intake. Then it comes up and outside the tank down under the stand through a shut off valve (which I also use to regulate flow) into the pump than into the first canister followed by the second. Through another shut off valve, up the backside of the tank and into the top for out put.
If I was to do it over again I would change the pump and try a submersible, priming this set up was a pain! Lol

Attachments

• image-844598513.jpg
    image-844598513.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 67
  • image-3222659798.jpg
    image-3222659798.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 76
  • image-1031537723.jpg
    image-1031537723.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 62
  • image-2442106653.jpg
    image-2442106653.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image-3837883483.jpg
    image-3837883483.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3276995542.jpg
    image-3276995542.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-1352078149.jpg
    image-1352078149.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 91
Jmedic has a wet/dry filter made out of a 5 gallon bucket. It's about to be the inspiration for my next design.

TankBoss said:
That would be awesome!

You were too quick. Lol! I hit the send early in the post. So I was editing the original post as you posted on this. ;-)

Mlani said:
You were too quick. Lol! I hit the send early in the post. So I was editing the original post as you posted on this. ;-)

No YOU were quick. Haha

Cool setup.

A little bit of a painful prime is worth saving some money imo. Thanks for the pics!

TankBoss said:
No YOU were quick. Haha

Cool setup.

A little bit of a painful prime is worth saving some money imo. Thanks for the pics!

Lol! Too true! I blame my fat fingers and this small phone ;-) I went to hit the + to add pics and it sent the message instead. Yes priming it seriously HURT I was sucking on that pipe forever. I even tried the wet/dry vac to give my lungs a break. If you check out the thread I posted ^ it's a walk through of my build ;-) Some other really great ideas were posted in it too. If you're looking for more?

Mlani said:
Lol! Too true! I blame my fat fingers and this small phone ;-) I went to hit the + to add pics and it sent the message instead. Yes priming it seriously HURT I was sucking on that pipe forever. I even tried the wet/dry vac to give my lungs a break. If you check out the thread I posted ^ it's a walk through of my build ;-) Some other really great ideas were posted in it too. If you're looking for more?

LOL

Yeah thanks a lot for the link... It was very informative and loaded with useful info. The more projects I see, the better.

TankBoss said:
LOL

Yeah thanks a lot for the link... It was very informative and loaded with useful info. The more projects I see, the better.

You're welcome keep us posted as to what you decide. :)

Back
Top Bottom