Transporting fish between home and school

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, I'm moving back to school in the fall and I'm wondering if I should expect to lose fish this way? There's the trip there, winter break, spring break, and trip home for the summer (I might take weekend trips home, but those are short enough not to matter). I'm thinking of just using like 2 5 gallon buckets (with seals). One for decorations/substrate and the other for the fish. Currently my stocking list is 7 Dario, and a nerite. The trip will take between 3 and 3.5 hours, but the fish might stay in the bucket as long as 5 hours (need to unpack, and the aquarium will probably be put in last). I'm unsure of how the water is down there (UIUC) but I'm planning on using r/o water and ferts (once I make my led light) along with some dwarf hairgrass, and since I have a car, I might get a few of those 5 gallon water jugs or something to store it (the water)

I would keep 2 separate tanks if possible. One at home and one at school. Because then you should just be able to transport fish and it be ok. Then when summer hits you can take the whole tank home but the rest of the time just worry about the fish.

I wouldn't even do that. I'd just leave the fish at school. Invest in a GOOD autofeeder, that you can adjust, and just have it feed once a day or something. There's no need to keep moving the fish back and forth. Also, you might be able to find someone that stays at school over the breaks that you can have feed your fish. There is ALWAYS someone still at school. The RAs generally stay another weekish or so into breaks, so that cuts one week out of winter break.

Also, if you have plants, I think you're nitrates will stay well below acceptable levels over the week or two or three that you're gone.

I transferred a saltwater reef back and forth my freshman year and it got really old.

My roommate brought his fish up in his little 2.5 gallon tank with his beta and 2 gourami in it. Left the tank on the floorboard with the A/C blowing full blast on it for 3 1/2 hours. They ended up making the trip and lasted the whole year past Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring break with very little care provided to them.

I had my RA feed my fish. Good way to make friends and conversation.

Back
Top Bottom