XBox 360

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about getting one but the add they had for the thing in Target made it look like the playstation. In that you needed memory cards for the thing to store your games. I dont think I will get one if you have to go threw all of that. If the 360 comes with a 20 gig drive like the old one then yes I will take advantage of the new game platform even though it looks like junk and are forced to buy different covers for the thing if you want to change its apperance.

I will get one... but I guess I will have to wait... I'm not gonna wait in front of BestBuy at 3am in the morning :)
The 360 comes in 2 packages, one priced $299 ,the other $399. The cheaper set comes with (1) wired controller and a composite AV cable (3 plugs - white/red and yellow).
The Set 2 comes with (1) wireless controller, Harddrive (don't know the size) , Ethernet cable, Headset and a Component HD AV cable (it has 6 plugs... )
While you can buy the Harddrive extra (don't know if available from the start or later) the expensive set offers more bang for the buck... HTH :)

oh, forgot... while you can use XBOX live without harddrive (still need the Memory unit) you will need the Harddrive if you want to play the older xbox games (and I think you will need to connect it to the internet at one point as well in order to get the patches for your old games... but that doesn't mean you have to sign up for Xbox Live)

Well thanks for that info Volker. That was going to be another question of mine was wether or not you could use your old games but it seems like you can from what you said. Do you know if you can use your old controllers too or do you have to buy the fancy new ones. See I got my original controller broke in just the way I like it and dont want to have to break another one in unless I absolutly have too.

For what I heard (forgot to check it in person ) you will have to buy a new one ... the plug seems to be different. Guess the best bet is to wait a couple weeks till the market for 3rd party parts has started :)

They just released a list this week with "generation 1" games that will be playable (because the patches will be available from Day 1) but I never saw it , saw only the news on Slashdot and Engadget. It seems that not every game will receive a patch ... that needs to be considered if you want to cash in your old xbox for a new one...

The Hard drive is 20 GB and yes you will have to have one to play the old games. You don't have to have an internet connection either you can actually ask them to send you a cd with it to download to your Hard drive.

The old controllers won't work in the 360.

Also until January a remote is included in the $399 set.

Oh Yeah, and if you are buying one, what is the game that you are buying with it? I'm definitely thinking that Madden 06 is the must have game on the new system. Have you seen the screenshots for it? They did a whole new graphics engine for the 360 version and it is absolutely breathtaking. Just amazing.

Does it still have those clucky controllers that they coverted to xbox because they couldn't sell any for the PC?

Sorry, Playstation all the way...

I am a Playstation advocate as well and I can tell you right now the 360 is going to blow PS3 outta the water. The major blow will come from PS3 not having backwards capability ... meaning you will not be able to play PS2 games on the PS3. the second blow comes from the 360 having the removable 20 gig HD. PS3 will never again match the gaming capacity the Microsoft has ventured into.

I was going to wait and see if the PS3 would compare, but it won't .... not even close!

The options for the 360 and modifications is unlimited. Just wait and see what people will do with this 360. A friend of mine is hardcore into modding and some of the stuff he talks about blows my mind, and he tells me that it will only be available to the 360.

Good luck to all those who will be fighting crowds on black friday to get one! Gimme your address and I'll be right over! LOL :lol:

I will get both a 360 and PS3 since I think Microsoft has done a great job with the XBOX and Sony does a great job with the PS line. I like the Square/Ennix games that sony gets and love the Metal Gear games. I also like the PC/Console type adrenaline pumpers that XBOX gets so Ill go with both. Although I would hold off I have heard that 360 hardware has some major issues so Im holding off for a few months till they get it running smoothly. For me though PC gaming will always reign supreme.

I have Gamecube, PS2 and Xbox standing here... Gamecube because of games like Super Mario and the Zelda series, PS2 initially because of Final Fantasy, now also because of GT4, and Xbox because of the best graphic out there (most of the time)... I also hate memory cards... and the price they slam on these 8Mb pieces of plastic and silicon....

Except if something changes dramtically if will get 360, PS3 and Nintendos new one as well.
My wife is into gaming even more than I am... and we don't have kids... so more for us :)

Jermz79 said:
I can tell you right now the 360 is going to blow PS3 outta the water. The major blow will come from PS3 not having backwards capability ... meaning you will not be able to play PS2 games on the PS3. the second blow comes from the 360 having the removable 20 gig HD. PS3 will never again match the gaming capacity the Microsoft has ventured into.
You might want to do a little more research on this subject as you are incorrect on all 3 points. You can start here...

Wikipedia Playstation 3
Playstation.com

Xbox 360 will be dated within 3 months of it's release. Not to say that it won't be a "good" system when compared to older systems, but it's already way outdone by PS3.

For me though PC gaming will always reign supreme.
I agree.

Check out the screenshots at the bottom of the wiki page.

Oh yeah, here is some gameplay footage of the PS3 Killzone...
http://media.putfile.com/PS3_Killzone

And since the hard drive comes with Linux installed, it is much more open to modification than the xbox will be. Open source all the way. Even the SDK for the PS3 is all open source. Power to the People...

I agree that both systems are going to be reletively equal in terms of performance and capabilities, however, I'll take the 360 for the modification aspect. My current Xbox holds over 150 games all saved on the hard drive.

from Wikipedia said:
Sony has announced that the PS3 will be mostly, but not totally, backwards compatible with earlier PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games

360 plans to be completely backwards compatible by January 2006!

Jermz79 said:
from Wikipedia said:
Sony has announced that the PS3 will be mostly, but not totally, backwards compatible with earlier PlayStation 2 and PlayStation games

360 plans to be completely backwards compatible by January 2006!
That's because they only have to go back one version. There hasn't been any huge changes (architectually speaking) since the first xbox came out. They are going from version 1 to version 2 and planned to do so from the beginning. The first playstation came out around 10 years ago. A lot has changed since then and to be able to support it with modern hardware alone is quite a feat.

The PS3 may be 100% backwards compatible. Reading further into the article you quoted (bold added for emphasis)...

"Third-party developers sometimes do things that are unimaginable. For example, there are cases where their games run, but not according to the console's specifications. There are times when games pass through our tests, but are written in ways that make us say, 'What in the world is this code?!' We need to support backward compatibility towards those kinds of games as well, so trying to create compatibility by software alone is difficult. There are things that will be required by hardware. However, with the powers of [a machine like] the PS3, some parts can be handled by hardware, and some parts by software."

Why is it that XBox and PS owners just can't get along. It's like getting republicans and democrats in a room together. They are both great consoles, the only thing I'm worried about is the speculation of how much the PS3 is going to cost. The Video cards and processors in both systems are truly all that matters to me. They are very different from one another and both seem to have their merits. Personally I'll go for the 360 because of XBox live. I loved the PS and PS2 and didn't really see a major difference until XBox live came out between the consoles. Playstation is going to have to launch something like that I believe in order for the PS3 to compete.

Well I still dont know if Im going to rush out and get a xbox 360, but I do know that I wount be getting a ps3 just because I can't get halo3 for it. however one of the games will want the most with the new platform is hopfully the new splinter cell from tom clancy. Cant get enough of the fifth freedom to assasinate and spy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom