4 gallon planted start-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterpenguin4

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Currently have a beta, dwarf frog, 2 ghost shrimp, and a assassin snail in the tank. The only plants in right now are Wysteria (some from Petsmart and some from a local pond), Cryptocroryne undulata red, and another nice looking plant from a local pond. I know getting stuff from local ponds is risky, but I gave each piece a good cleaning with water and h2o2 before I put them in. I may take out the Cryptocroryne because I think it may get too big for the tank (it's the plant just to the right of the log). Filter is an Aquaclear 20 set on low right now. And the light is a 13 watt 6500k cfl. I put in an order for some more plants online. I'm not sure what look I'm going for yet. I think I just want to have a nice planted tank and not have to deal with algae problems like my earlier tanks.

I had the log on the left stood up, but I think I like it better laying down.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If anyone has some ideas on what might look good or any tips, feel free to post. Here is my plant order:

I loved my DHG carpet in my 10 gallon, I think I want to try it again

Got 2 Amano shrimp and some Java moss today. I bought one of those "floating moss balls" from Petco which is really a bunch of dead Java moss and some live strands wrapped around a floating ball. I broke open the ball and got about a quarter-size bunch of green moss and tied it tightly to the log, hoping that it grows tightly around the log.

I would be terrified to put native plants in my tank. Parasites, disease, etc...

Crypts grow slowly. Give it a Root Tab.

I would skip DHG but I've only seen it thrive in High Light/CO2 tanks.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could make that branch into a nice looking aqua tree. Have you thought about some moneywort? Or a madagascar lace leaf? I love mine. It would look awesome against the black in your tank. They do get large though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was think of putting the Starogyne repens all around the log, the Cambomba in the background, the nana petite maybe behind the branches, and attempt a DHG carpet in the very front.

Just ordered the 12" Finnex fugeray planted + . Will I need to get a co2 system or just excel?

Plants came in and look great. Thanks Jetta or peabodysparadise.com

Took out the pond plants and some of the crypts and wisteria. Added DHG, Starogyne repens, green Cambomba, and a small Nana petite in the back right.
My frog watched me plant them the whole time and was very adamant that I didn't touch his cave.

"Nobody allowed in!"

Ordered a Fluval 20g co2 kit today along with some glass pieces. I think the new light would be too much without co2.

Looks like you are on your way to a really nice set up! I'm interested in seeing how that particular CO2 system does in a nano tank.

Went to a LFS to look around today and saw a Peacock Gudgeon in a tank with a bunch of kribensis and various cichlids. He was all alone, hugging the corner and looked pretty beat up. I couldn't help but save him and I found out the reason he was in the tank when I checked out. I was charged for a "baby kribensis" ....
Anyway, my beta has started to get very mean and territorial over the whole tank and after introducing the Peacock Gudgeon, he wouldnt stop chasing anything that moves, so I have him in a bucket with some plants and an air stone until I figure something out. I understand the tank might be a little crowded at this point, but I just had to save him and this is my only tank right now. I'm not worried about water chemistry, as I test every day and do small 10-20% changes daily and once the plants fill in there should be plenty hiding spots.

Interesting find! So what else is in the tank with the gudgeon?

Interesting find! So what else is in the tank with the gudgeon?

African dwarf frog, 2 ghost shrimp, assassin snail, and there was a beta until I took him out.

That's pretty crowded.. wait until you see the size of the co2 ladder that comes with that kit.. you'll lose 25% of your tank space.. maybe more..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's pretty crowded.. wait until you see the size of the co2 ladder that comes with that kit.. you'll lose 25% of your tank space.. maybe more..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's why I ordered the nag hang-on diffuser I posted a pic of.

Nope I keep bettas and Peacock gudgeons and they are not good tank mates. The only time it worked is when I had several females and some gudgeons in a 55g and that wasn't advisable and I no longer have it set up that way. Lovely fish though, I can see why you saved him.

Hmm, that's a bummer. Would the Gudgeon do well in my tank with the frog and shrimp? If I have the choice, I'll probably keep the Gudgeon and set up a little betta tank for the bully.

Back
Top Bottom