can i get more power for my 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
I curently have a 18" 15watt flourecent light on it... i know im at low light levels, but later on if i was to put different plants in, i would want more power... does anyone make more powerful setups for 18"?

Yes. Much more powerful, but the price gets quite high compared to what you have now. There are up to 96 Watt compact flourescent units that are extremely bright, but may be overkill for a ten gallon planted tank. Ive also checked into another vendor called AH Supply; website at http://www.ahsupply.com and they seem to have a bit more selection, especially for the freshwater aquarist.....the more expensive 96 Watt Coralife units would probably be best suited for a reef tank. Im hardly the best source of information regarding planted tanks, but I have explored several different lighting solutions for my own ten and 15T tanks. There are a few people on the list that are extremely knowledgeable when it comes to planted tanks and I know of a few that would probably recommend the same website. One user, Rex Grigg has always had great advice regarding planted tanks and he also keeps his own website that has a lot of great information regarding lighting and planted tank upkeep. His website is located at http://rexgrigg.com/
Hopefully Rex will follow up with this post and doesnt mind that I referred someone to his own site as well....Thanks Rex!

Sorry about the messed up post....dont know what I did to the first url. Either way, the address is correct and will work if you type it in your browser. Good luck!

so i could get the 2x13w retofit kit for my 15wlight hood, and i'd be at 26watts!!! are balasts easy to wire? (i am a ASE certified automotive electrician)

also which color temp is recomended for brighter/whiter light... the 5500k or 6400k? im guessing the 6400k, since marine is supposed to be 10000, and they are always real bright white.

all together $35 thats sooo awesome... i think im going to order the kit!!! thank you sooooo much!!!!!

Check this out. Go to www.petwarehouse.com. Then search for item 17791. Its a double power compact, 18 watts each, and 12 inches long. And here is the best news. Its only 27.99. The price is unbelivable. I just ordered two.

Andrej

but that brings me to 1.8 wpg... would 2.6 wpg be better, or too much light? would i be beter off with the 18 watt pc?

thetmaxx said:
but that brings me to 1.8 wpg... would 2.6 wpg be better, or too much light? would i be beter off with the 18 watt pc?

Get the two bulb model. 2*18=36......36/10=3.6 wpg. With that light fixture you will have more than enough good lighting. That should get the plants to grow. Just make sure that you do not get an actinic bulb. Excessive light in the 420 nm (blue) causes algal growth because it makes organically bound iron bio-available.

Andrej

oh, i didnt even see the 2 bulb model down there... wow what a great price!!! and no wiring needed!!! LOL ya, i'll definatly order that. looks like its back ordered for another month though...

quick question until then. i have 2 15watt bulbs, the one i bought b4 i thought i was going to have plants and is a lot whiter light, the other i bought for the plants thinking maybe it would be beter, and is not as bright, but both are 15 watt, would my plant do fine with the whiter one? does color matter too much?

Heheheheh... "What would you prefer - nuclear disaster or Abomb-bardment?" I'm sure I'll be safe, I'm over 400 miles away!

thetmaxx said:
would my plant do fine with the whiter one? does color matter too much?

As was described by Diana Walsted, the bulbs that are made for "plants" are not as good as the cool white ones. This is because the "plant" bulbs are made for TERRESTIAL plants, not aquatic plants, and the light spectrums are very different under water than they are on land. That means that plants have evolved their pigments to suit. The cool white bulbs are MUCH better than the plant bulbs (scientific experiments showed as much as a 83% increase in photosynthesis, as measured by oxygen production, over the plant bulbs.)

Hope that was helpful.

Andrej

The only problem about the 18 watt light is there are NO replacement 18 watt bulbs available.

IMHO the best way to go for a 10 gallon tank is an AH Supply 36 watt kit. You will however need to build or buy an enclosure for this light. AH Supply sells a very nice one for $30.

I don't mind anyone pointing people to my FAQ. In fact the more people who visit the better. I wrote it to be a quick source of basic information for planted tanks and to cut though the learning curve. Right now that FAQ is getting from 50-80 unique visitors a day.

True that there are no replacement bulbs available, but they will be in the near future. However, even if they are not available, the price is so ungodly low (under 40 dollars) that you could buy a whole new ballast and set up and still be under the price of most lights.

wow rex, that's really good for your site, and more importantly, the hobby. hopefully there aren't many people being offended! :lol:

people getting into the hobby need to read and research for a couple months before starting out. i've been doing my research since late last year and am very confident in my abilities. i am not worried about nutrient balances, i'm not worried about what plants will work, i'm not worried about lighting, i'm not worried about algae, etc etc. knowledge has made all the difference, and hopefully others will do the same. it's just reading!

Back
Top Bottom