Fish Destroying Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm typing this as I watch my Clown Loach and Dwarf Gourami bite the plants in my tank to pieces. Any advice on the types of plants I should get next as I will surely be replacing the current plants very soon as soon as my fish are done with them.

What plants are they destroying? Generally thicker leaves plants -your low light easy to care plants are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What plants are they destroying? Generally thicker leaves plants -your low light easy to care plants are good.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405994483.550613.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405994507.640221.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405994573.068159.jpg

These are the plants I'm not too sure of the actual names

Firstly do you have root tabs under them plants they look like they have some deficiencies?
Secondly they look like a sword so I am not sure why they are getting eaten I've never hear I swords being eaten.

I think you have a deficiency and If you can solve that then you shouldn't have as bad a problem with them eating the plants. Also add some boiled or soft peas that have been shelled to your fishes diet and that should help

I'm typing this as I watch my Clown Loach and Dwarf Gourami bite the plants in my tank to pieces. Any advice on the types of plants I should get next as I will surely be replacing the current plants very soon as soon as my fish are done with them.
I have Silver Dollar Fish and they LOVE to eat plants. I eventually planted some Cabomba. It is invasive once established, but it is a beautiful plant and it outgrows the appetite of my Silver Dollars.

Firstly do you have root tabs under them plants they look like they have some deficiencies?
Secondly they look like a sword so I am not sure why they are getting eaten I've never hear I swords being eaten.

I think you have a deficiency and If you can solve that then you shouldn't have as bad a problem with them eating the plants. Also add some boiled or soft peas that have been shelled to your fishes diet and that should help

I do not have any root tabs. I was told that they are beneficial but not completely necessary. And I guess I will just keep experimenting with different plants until the fish eventually stop eating them!! ?

I have Silver Dollar Fish and they LOVE to eat plants. I eventually planted some Cabomba. It is invasive once established, but it is a beautiful plant and it outgrows the appetite of my Silver Dollars.

Thanks I might have to try that because i don't want to keep replacing plants! As long as it outgrows their appetite I should be good!

I'll definitely pick some up the next time I go to the store. How often do you use them?

Every 4 months you have to replace them but one at the base of each sword will do you fine.

Gourami do not eat plants, they peck at the algae on the leaves. Your plant leaves are showing serious signs of nutrient difficiency. What is your fertilizer regime? I would trim all the leaves that are thin and yellow. If your fertilization, carbon source and lighting are sufficient, this will help the plant grow new, healthier leaves instead of wasting energy trying to repair the damaged ones. Trim them down as far down the stem as you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thank you for all the help! i will be trimming the leaves and getting root tabs asap! Hopefully this will take care of the deficiencies and the nibbling on leaves will stop.

The variegated plant you have in the second picture with the white on the edges of the leaves is NOT aquatic. It will not live long submerged. Are there actually 2 plants in the second picture very close together?
The other pictures do look like swords, and root tabs are necessary for them unless you have a nutrient rich substrate or a dirted tank.

If you want some tougher plants that your fish will have a harder time destroying, try anubias. There are many different varieties and they all have very thick leaves. They are also slow growing, low maintenance, and have a rhizome meaning that they should be tied to a rock or piece if wood rather than buried in the substrate.

The variegated plant you have in the second picture with the white on the edges of the leaves is NOT aquatic. It will not live long submerged. Are there actually 2 plants in the second picture very close together?
The other pictures do look like swords, and root tabs are necessary for them unless you have a nutrient rich substrate or a dirted tank.

If you want some tougher plants that your fish will have a harder time destroying, try anubias. There are many different varieties and they all have very thick leaves. They are also slow growing, low maintenance, and have a rhizome meaning that they should be tied to a rock or piece if wood rather than buried in the substrate.

I bought a bunch of new plants as well as root tabs and so far so good! All the fish love them and that's where they spent most of their time. Including the 6 cherry barbs I just got

Back
Top Bottom