Floating plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAH

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I some new world cichlids in a 55 with lots of current I was wondering if there would be any floating plants that could put up with the current?

You could try duckweed, water lettuce, and frogbit. That's the most floating plants I can think of at the moment lol. Duckweed RAPIDLY multiplies, and for reference, I added a small handful to the surface of my 60 gallon, and within 5 days the whole surface was covered. I also have dwarf water lettuce and duckweed in my tank to provide shade for my low light plants since I have such high light. But you have to keep pulling some out almost every day to keep it under control. I also run a bunch of bubblers and a powerful water circulator (lots of surface movement) and they do just fine.

Using any type of floating plant in a high current tank is going to be very difficult. Duckweed would never work as the high flow would have it flying around all over your tank and in your filter. The best thing you could try if you have an open top would be to try getting some larger floaters like water lettuce or water hyacinth and let the flow push them into one area of the tank naturally. Alot will depend on how hard the flow really is.

Back
Top Bottom