Fluorite black sand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yonahfeld

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone explain how to prepare this? How do I rinse, cap, plant etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

There are a couple ways to do it

1. Just dump it in there, fill it with water and let the filter run (using a powerhead to make a current will make this slightly faster). This is the messiest and probably longest way to do this. I don't recommend it.

2. Rinse it and sun dry it over and over again. (I don't know enough about this method to tell you much but there are plenty of people that have done this and you could probably find a thread for it. I believe the dirt and dust washed away though is full of nutrients.)

3. Put a dish over the Fluorite and start pouring water into the dish gently. There will still be dirt and dust but not as much as just dumping water in there. You can also put newspaper on top of the Fluorite before you pour water into the dish. Some problems when planting though, is that the dirt and dust is still in between the Fluorite so when you plant, it can stir up a cloud. To prevent this as much as possible, get a pair of planting tweezers to ensure you disturb the Fluorite as least as possible.

This substrate can be pesky at first. I just rinsed mine out a couple of times and let the cloudiness that resulted in the tank water go away with time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom