Going to start a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny2007

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, I've decided I want to try plants. I want to get a new tank too! :) So I need suggestions from what substraight to what tank size would be best. I will probably be using this tank for my betta/ any fry that pop up in my main tanks.

I prefer pool filter sand as a substrate. Very cheap, looks great, and easy to work with. Tank size 40 breeder is my favorite. Very easy to work with.

Wide tanks are better for planted tanks. They offer more options when aquascaping. A 40B or a 75g is better than a 55g.

I like sand in my tanks and the plants do fine with it.

BigJim said:
Wide tanks are better for planted tanks. They offer more options when aquascaping. A 40B or a 75g is better than a 55g.

I like sand in my tanks and the plants do fine with it.

They're harder to get even lighting in though. Something to keep in mind.

Organic potting soil capped w gravel rocks for plants. Better than sand anyday I would think. Organic is key though .. get it at ur local hardware store. It will be nutrient rich and save u on ferts. You just have to be aware of when u fill it there will be a lot of nutrients in water so go lights off a couple days and do a couple 50% h2o changes to get them out to prevent algae explosion. Look up that dustinsfishtanks guy on YouTube.com he has instructions on how and what to do... Lighting depends on the plants. And if u need co2 make a homemade DIY one... They work good just remember a check valve and to have two bottle one for your mixture Amd one that every thing has to go though to get to tank In.case ur yeast has a flare up... I just started planting.g myself. So this is more based in the advice of others and what I.am doin.

Sand can settle Amd cause problems for.plants. as for lighting I have decided t5 bulbs are the best way to get the light in for the money... The set UPS can be found cheap online andbu can get a lot of bulbs in a small area.

Thanks for all the help, I never thought any potting soil, I'll probably go with the 40b. I really want a piece of drift wood with x-mas moss. And some type of carpet plant.

Capping? That means put something over it, right. I would prefer a sand cap is that posable?

I have two dirt tanks at the moment. One is capped with gravel and sand mix and one is capped with sand only. Both works fine. If you go with potting soil you can demineralize it or just put it straight in the tank. I put mine straight in and didn't experience any algae out breaks in my 70g but alot in my 8g.

I agree that dirt tanks are superior if you want to keep some picky plants. Carpeting plants that you mentioned really like a rich substrate and medium to high light. For the soil, the best thing would be Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil. Demineralize it as mentioned before unless you don't mind algae outbreaks. You can cap with sand.

adadkins1 said:
I agree that dirt tanks are superior if you want to keep some picky plants. Carpeting plants that you mentioned really like a rich substrate and medium to high light. For the soil, the best thing would be Miracle Gro Organic Potting Soil. Demineralize it as mentioned before unless you don't mind algae outbreaks. You can cap with sand.

How do u demineralize?

Its mineralizing and its basically breaking down the organics in the soil prior to adding it to the tank. It helps negate ammonia spikes and algae blooms related to adding straight soil.

Another benefit to the mineralized soil method is the additional ingredients that help make a more complete substrate.

The downside is that it requires much more prep work.

jetajockey said:
Its mineralizing and its basically breaking down the organics in the soil prior to adding it to the tank. It helps negate ammonia spikes and algae blooms related to adding straight soil.

Another benefit to the mineralized soil method is the additional ingredients that help make a more complete substrate.

The downside is that it requires much more prep work.

How do you do it?

It helps the extra organics decompose. I didn't mineralize and I ended up with some ammonia and algae outbreaks.

I will try to find how to do it.

There's a few different methods of doing it, but here's more info in an older thread.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/potting-soil-146556-2.html

If you happen to read deep enough into this thread you'll see that at one point I was providing mineralized topsoil kits, I haven't done that in a while but I do have some of the materials needed so if you have any questions let me know and I can tell you where to find things.

Back
Top Bottom