Help Me Identify There Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the process of switching from fake plants to real ones. My LPS is kind of clueless when it comes to plants so I'm not 100% sure what any of them are! My molly is going to give birth soon and I hope the fries like the floating grass! I think it is so cool. Thanks!

Attachments

• tumblr_miok4va9Lg1qb5km5o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_miok4va9Lg1qb5km5o1_500.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 64
  • tumblr_miokeh9vbG1qb5km5o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_miokeh9vbG1qb5km5o1_500.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 53
In the first picture it looks like mondo grass on the left and an anubias on the right. Unfortunately, the mondo grass isn't a true aquatic plant, and will eventually rot. The other pic sort of looks like a bunch of micro sword. You should try separating bits of it and plant them in the substrate.
Good luck!

That 3rd floating plant kinda looks like lilaeopsis brasiliensis aka microsword, does it have roots anywhere?

The plant on the left looks like it might be some kind of valisneria, american val maybe. Here's a good link on those. http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-articles/vallisneria.aspx

I'm still working on that sword looking plant, I'm not that good with the various species and similar looking ones, although that one looks like if it is a true aquatic then it is emersed growth.

Last edited:
In picture 1 on the left is an anubia and the grass like plant kind of looks like mondo grass which if it is mondo grass isn't an aquatic plant. The grass in pic 2 looks like Micro Chain Sword which honestly I don't know how well it will do if left floating as it is generally planted.

Should be able to pull the plant out on the right to see if it has a rhizome, that'd settle that one easily. I didn't even think of anubias since they aren't often seen buried.

I think Rivercats is right about it being mondo grass also, the kind I usually see is a bit darker than that but I've now seen some in google that look similar.

That's so annoying about the mondo grass! I really like the way they look. I pulled apart the micro chain sword a bit and it does seem to have roots but they are very very small. I stuck a few piece in my substrate and I'm curious to see how it does. In the past few weeks I've had only a few small pieces rot on the floating bunch and my RCS have taken care of them quickly! Thanks for the help!!

Back
Top Bottom