Help! Plants dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Platiesareawesome

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I just got back from an eight day vacation, and when I looked at my tank, the plants looked HORRIBLE:

image-2622960661.jpg

They used to be doing great IMO:

image-16972882.jpg

What went wrong? Recently, my 3 ember tetras died. My platies seem fine. There are plant leaves and debris from the plants floating around the tank. The java ferns are turning brown. The crypts are little stubs with only a few leaves left.

The only changes in my tank have been:

1. I started using Seachem comprehensive fertilizer
2. I added a new heater, because my old one broke.
3. My water change schedule had been out of sync because of the vacation. (My nitrates were at 5-10 when I left, though.
4. I added some new plants (they were the plants they sell in plastic tubes).

What happened? Thank you!

Plants tend to melt or die off when new to a tank, if you see new growth on the plant like little leaves or whatever then they should come back in time. Almost all my plants have done this to me, might not be all the leaves at once that wilt away but some will and new ones will take their place. Usually I just snip the dieing leaves right off so they aren't taking nutrients from the plant.

Plants tend to melt or die off when new to a tank, if you see new growth on the plant like little leaves or whatever then they should come back in time. Almost all my plants have done this to me, might not be all the leaves at once that wilt away but some will and new ones will take their place. Usually I just snip the dieing leaves right off so they aren't taking nutrients from the plant.

Thanks for your response!

If you added tube plants then there shouldn't be any problems. And rarely do plants cause other plants to melt. What usually can trigger melt in older plants is a change in tank conditions. Also what ferts are you using? One thing I learned about Java Ferns is they really like a lot of phosphates. When I keep my phosphate levels up they grow great and rarely ever grow daughter plants, which makes me happy.

If you added tube plants then there shouldn't be any problems. And rarely do plants cause other plants to melt. What usually can trigger melt in older plants is a change in tank conditions. Also what ferts are you using? One thing I learned about Java Ferns is they really like a lot of phosphates. When I keep my phosphate levels up they grow great and rarely ever grow daughter plants, which makes me happy.

Seachem flourish comprehensive

I'm not seeing dying plants in those pic's. They appear fine from what I can see. Damaged leaves won't grow back but new growth should be fine and healthy.

I'm not seeing dying plants in those pic's. They appear fine from what I can see. Damaged leaves won't grow back but new growth should be fine and healthy.

Ok. Should I just dose fertilizer 2 times a week and leave them alone? Is there anything else I need to do? Just curious, why do you think this happened? All my plants, but especially my crypts, doing well, and then this happened.

Ok. Should I just dose fertilizer 2 times a week and leave them alone? Is there anything else I need to do? Just curious, why do you think this happened? All my plants, but especially my crypts, doing well, and then this happened.

It's hard to say what triggered it honestly. But I'd just up the ferts and keep an eye on things. They really don't look bad in the pic's.

Back
Top Bottom