Horntwort Plant Care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Henri

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello Everyone!
So I found this pond full of hornworts, I couldn't believe it myself so got some and took them home! The pond is part of a natural park protected from the government, so there are no chemicals dumped in the water. Thank goodness I was allowed to take the plants home!
Anyways, I really don't have any live plant in my aquarium and I really want to put this hornwort in! But I've never kept one before so I made some research, but I'm still confused... I read that hornwort is a low light plant, but several people online said that they need a light to grow... I currently don't have a light for my tank because I don't have a hood yet, but I'm planning to build one soon... But in the meantime, what do I have to do with my hornwort? I got it yesterday, it was planted in the pond's sand and was under the water's surface... I took it home and did a quick bleach dip, 1 part bleach 19 parts water, rinsed it well, used dechlorinator and filled a container with siphoned tank water so it will have nutrients to feed on. I put it in the sun and today It looks normal, I took it out to take a picture of it but the plant looks very " fragile " and a small part of it got separated from the entire stem... Anyways, Im not a floating plant lover, but some people said that hornwort does better if left floating then planted... Is that my only alternative? I don't want to leave it floating as I have a strong filter, plus I like it better planted, I have a fine gravel as substrate... So can I plant it, will it live?
Oh and also, some said that if you don't use fertilizers on it, it will die sooner or later... Water Plants' fertilizers aren't sold at my country, so can't use any to my Hornwort :(... Is it true, will it die without any fertilizer? I dont want that to happen!
Thanks for your time anyone, would appreciate any reply, I have swordtails in my tank that constantly breed and I need a plant like this, I heard great reviews! Im attaching a picture of it to the thread. :thanks:

Attachments

• P1130345.jpg
    P1130345.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 114
Wall of text much?

Anyways, Hornwort is very easy to grow. just let it float, and if it has a light source, it will grow. you can plant it, hornwort feeds from its leaves, and dosnt have roots, so it will grow anyways. people say its one of the easiest plants to grow, and my (rather short term) experience agrees.

Oh, so I can plant it? Some people said that it will stay for a while and then rot if its planted ??? ... Anyways, I don't have any aquarium light at the moment, but my tank does get direct sunlight, it's near the balcony... Is it enough for it to grow?

I dont think it would rot unless you bury a good portion. try and position it until it gets maximum amount of direct sunlight, atleast until you can get a lamp for it up.

Back
Top Bottom