New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy17

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello I've decided to get start planting my ten gallon tank. I ordered a tiger lotus and was wondering if anyone else had had One and just give me some extra info. I know some things but I'd like to know more.

Thanks.

Tiger Lotus are quite easy. They do like having root tabs at their roots. Also once they start growing you will get two types of leaves. Submerged ones and ones that shoot straight up for the surface (these leaves also have a rounder shape). You want to cut the ones going for the surface off close to the base before they ever reach the surface. This will help train the bulb to eventually send out mostly submerged growth. You will still get some floater leaves trying to grow but just cut them off. This way you will end up with a nice compact growth of submerged leaves.

Ok thank you do you have one and if so can you post a picture so I can see what to keep it at.

Ok thank you very much and the one I got is a red lotus.

Oh and one more thing the one I've ordered they removed the leaves for shipping so they wouldn't be damaged so how deep would I need to place it in my substrate

I didn't plant mine at all. I laid it on the substrate where I wanted it to root and let it root itself. This way there is no chance of the bulb rotting from being too deep in the substrate. This is just the way I prefer doing it.

I have a community tank with angels, loaches, cory's, tetras, and such and none messed with it.

Ok thank you and sorry I have just one last question how long does it take to sprout. Or if it doesn't how do I know if its rotten?

It takes awhile but as long as the bulb stays firm with no visable rot then just leave it alone and it will eventually start sending out roots and leaves.

I am a newbie too and this thread was very helpful. Thank you Rivercats for your help here and on the PM you sent me.

Knew that if it wasn't rotting it would eventually sprout. I've had bulbs sit a couple months before they decided to grow.

Eve though they show signs of development, they seem to be pretty loose for now. Will they eventually be rooted or are these plants the kind that is not really anchored?

Attachments

• image-947240125.jpg
    image-947240125.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 50
Do you know what type of plant it is and my bulbs have grown roots ( I found this out during the water change ) and they are small but if you wish you can bury the bulb just a little to hold it in place. Which is what I've done and its worked really well.

I never bury my bulbs but know they can be slightly buried. If buried too deep the bulbs can rot. The bulb will eventually get rooted down in place as roots grow longer and deeper into the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom