New to planted tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

econoob

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I finally bought a 29 gallon tank with the end goal of having an ecosystem tank. I have relatively low experience (only ever guppies or goldfish in small tanks) and am new to planted tanks completely.

I ordered a few plants (all low experience level) and plan to slowly grow and propagate the plants until I have formed a habitat im happy with, and then add some livestock.

When the tank is ready for livestock, how do I know what I can add? Right now I have 4 guppies and a ton of mystery snails because apparently they breed like rabbits (all but 2 are no more than a centimeter in width).

I have read 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. Does that remain the case if I have a plethora of plants growing within?

Also, if I were to get something like kuhli loaches, would them typically occupying different space within the tank compared to the guppies allow for slightly more fish overall? It is my understanding that guppies typically hang out higher in the tank and loaches like to bottom dwell more.

How would I account for my livestock total with any snail or shrimp I want in the tank? Does it follow the same idea as 1 inch a gallon?

Ultimately, im not really sure on the balance for space and life in the tank. I want as many plants and fish as possible to help each other in their own habitat, but dont want to overload and stress out anything.

Like I said, I haven't ordered any fish yet and won't be for at least a few weeks, but I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks so much for your help!

1 inch per gallon is a very outdated method of determining how many fish you can add. There are so many factors that such a simple method doesnt take account of, like plants. Also, 1 x 10 inch fish will have a much bigger bioload than 10 x 1 inch fish. The 1 inch per gallon rule works quite well at preventing you overstocking a tank when you are looking at small, narrow bodied fish like tetras, guppies, etc. A 10 gallon tank could quite easily support 10 neon tetras. It fails when you are looking at large, full bodied fish with high bioload. A 10 gallon tank couldnt support a fully grown, 10 inch goldfish.

There is no substitute for experience.

Tools like aqadvisor are better, but still dont fully account of all the factors, like plants.

https://aqadvisor.com/

Yes, your planted tank might be able to support a higher bioload than the available tools indicate. But, one thing i will say, plants tend to do better in lightly stocked tanks. Depends where your priority is.

I would say, stock lightly, add fish slowly, see how things are before you add more.

As you're searching for the right combination, remember to research what you love! No sense stocking with what's correct on paper but your feeling is "meh".

Speaking of bioload...those snails are poop machines. You might think about removing down to 2-3, although they are born to breed and you'll continue to find egg sacs at the lid rim unless you limit it to only one. Removed snails: a separate tank, or do you have a local fish store who might accept them? Or fish club who trades?

Back
Top Bottom