Planted Guppy Tank. Suggestions? (fry eaters)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkforest

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have aqquired several tanks and I'm in the process of planning my next tank and I'm looking for ideas/thoughts etc. Here is my basic premise, a planted fancy guppy tank. I've got several sizes of tanks I can use, I was thinking of using one of the tanks from 15, 20, 30 or 50 gallon.

Anyway, one of the things I'm wondering about is population control. In the past I couldn't *give* them away fast enough... I'd like suggestions on species that will be *big enough* to eat some of the guppy fry but small enough and not aggressive enough to fin-nip/terrorize the adult guppies.

I'm thinking of planting the tank on multiple levels, using pieces of driftwood to give height and anchorage to the various plants. I havn't yet decided on how much lighting i'm going to put on it.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Most fish will eat fry. But something a bit larger would be a few male mollies, a pair or trio of rams or apistos, or maybe 2 rainbows.

dwarf gouramis will eat fry. I have a female dwarf gourami and saw her hunting endler fry a few days ago. Since then I've not seen the fry again, but I already have like 80 in a breeder net, so it's not a big loss.

I don't think mollies are such a good idea, unless they are all males. If you take females and males too you have two populations reproducing like crazy.

Back
Top Bottom