Planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rockyofhockey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all,
So I'm curious on how to "dirt" a tank so it is better for the plants... Like I need to know all the basics as I've never done a dirted tank before

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Look up Dustin's Fish Tanks on You Tube. I have never done it but recently have contemplated doing so. I have watched a lot of his videos and he explains how he does it really well.

Look up Dustin's Fish Tanks on You Tube. I have never done it but recently have contemplated doing so. I have watched a lot of his videos and he explains how he does it really well.

I've watched every single video of dustins?? I just wanted to know like step by step

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Well if you go the Eco complete or floramax route don't think it should be hard, but if you're gonna go with potting soil, I think you add that first and then a nice good compact substrate over it so the gasses from the soil don't build and escape killing your fish. Idk? Lol

Check out my introduction to view my tank!

Well if you go the Eco complete or floramax route don't think it should be hard, but if you're gonna go with potting soil, I think you add that first and then a nice good compact substrate over it so the gasses from the soil don't build and escape killing your fish. Idk? Lol

If I use Eco complete do I still need root tabs for my swords, crypts, ect..

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I don't believe so since it comes with all the nutritions the plants need, but it wouldn't hurt to put some in I guess, I just put some in a few minutes ago in my floramax one.

I don't believe so since it comes with all the nutritions the plants need, but it wouldn't hurt to put some in I guess, I just put some in a few minutes ago in my floramax one.

If POSSIBLE could u upload a pic of what your gravel looks like... I want to see what Floromax looks like. Any way Eco-complete is a more finer substrate gravel, kinda like sand right?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

Hmmmm

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426726204.357397.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426726226.592102.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426726243.193305.jpg

I never had Eco complete I actually went with floramax cause it was black lol

Two bags, I have a 38 gallon so like 30-40 bucks depends on how much they cost in your area

Dirt isn't necessarily better. It's just one approach that can give good results under certain circumstances. Dirt eventually depletes too and it can be very messy.

Not all of the plant specific substrates have nutrients "built in". Some put off a lot of ammonia at first.

I am not going high tech so I personally have chosen plain sand, DIY Osmocote root tabs, Excel, and low to medium light. And I'm still experimenting to see which fertilizers to add to the water, if any.

I have another tank with ADA aquasoil, also low tech, and didn't see a difference. I think I'm not at an advanced enough level in the hobby to notice a huge change from substrate.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Have you read the Ecology of the Planted Aquarium: A Practical Manual and Scientific Treatise by Diana Walstad? I has everything you need to know about dirted tanks. This wiki has useful information http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Walstad_method. I've dirted a tank capped with sand. Didn't really get to finish cycling it before my wife found it and made me get rid of it. Lol

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pitbully, you need to do a better job of hiding your tanks.
I've used EcoComplete in low tech and high tech tanks. You do need to add root supplements because it is an insert substrate. One of the benefits of this type of substrate is that it binds minerals and nutrients making them easily available for plants to utilize.
I have yet to try a dirted tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol, yeah your right. I had full blown mts att, I still can't believe she made me get rid of it. It was another 29g thAt I resealed.

Sent from my Z667T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you think 20 lbs of Floromax would work?

Rockyofhockey _/.\_

I forgot how much one bag comes with lol, this is my first planted tank but I saw videos on YouTube saying that sand is more compact so the root tabs arnt allowed to spread as much as it would with substrate, but I never tried it and this is my first time using root tabs so I wouldn't know :/

I watched one of his videos last night of him dirting a tank (Dustin's). He just used organic potting soil and mixed in clay bits for iron and whatever other nutrient you need extra according to what type of plants your wanting to grow. He mixed all ingredients in a bucket and added a bit of water (to rinse, drain and mix together). He then added it to an empty tank and separated it about a 1/2 inch from walls all the way around tank. Then all you have to do is plant your tank, cap with gravel or substrate and then very slowly add water. He said he only fills about half way then does multiple water changes before finishing an adding fish back in.
Like I said I have never done this, but it sound interesting and I wonder if there has ever been a comparison in plant growth between substrate and dirt?

Back
Top Bottom