Plants carry Ick Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gundy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a buddy getting rid of abunch of plants from a tank that currently had ick. He hasn't treated the tank or anything, and the fish died.

I was wondering what I would do to rid the plants of ick if its even possible that they are carrying.. I know you can dip anacharis in diluted bleach water to rid of snails and was curious if something like this would work on other swords/potted plants?

Put the plants in a separate tank and raise the temperature to 86 or so and see how the plants handle it. Keep them there for a couple of weeks and by then the ich should be gone. The longer you can keep them in the tank the better.

But the plants are looking grim as is, I doubt they will survive.. The point of getting them into my tank is because my buddys lighting was insufficent.

As I understand it ick is found either free floating or carried by host fish. I would think that if you were to give them a good rinsing the risk would be minimal, especially if your fish are healthy and not stressed. A bleach dip or some such would simply add an extra level of security. The safest thing would be to quarentine them for several weeks in a tank with no fish. Without a host the ick life cycle can't complete and it will die off. Again this is all from memory, so I recommend double checking before following my suggestions.

How would bleech dips effect the plants? Do I just dip them in a diluted solution then rinse them off?

Check out Steve Hampton's site for more information on dips. Certain species don't tolerate the dips as well as others, and healthy plants will always fair better than unhealthy plants.

I would pour some bleach in a busket of water, dip the plants for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the dip time depends on the concentration of bleach and plants - soft leaves should be shorter. Then rinse well, dip in a clean water for another 10 minutes with double amount of de-chlorinator such as Prime. This should be safe enough, even algaes are killed too.

Back
Top Bottom