Too much light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20gal long that for the longest time had 55w CF and 40w florescent over it. The plants grew well, all except L. glandulosa. Well the ballast went out in the CF fixture about 2 months or so ago. I have been running 60w florescent since with less than stellar results. The L. glandulosa is barely hanging on.

Today I got my A.H. supply order in. I purchased the 2x55w CF kit. Now the tank looks like it has enough to light a football field. Question is could this possibly be too much light? I dose kh2po4, K2SO4, Mgso4, CaSo4, and CSM+b every other day as well as run 2 DIY co2 bottles changed alternately weekly. Is this a recipe for disaster?

As long as you can keep up with the nutrient needs of the plants, then I doubt that there is such a thing as too much light until you get to the point where you are literally burning the plants. Just keep in mind that the more light you have, the less time it can take for things to get seriously out of hand. If you want to scale back the amount of light, you can always replace one of the bulbs with a 50/50 bulb.

I'm pretty consistent with water changes, dosing, and changing the Co2 mixtures. I know what you mean about things getting out of control quickly though. I missed a Co2 change a few weeks ago in my 40gal and the plant growth was stunted because of it.

No longer than these lights have been on today and I swear the plants already look better. My rotala wallichii has definitely gotten more red.

Back
Top Bottom