Increasing Phosphates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had been keeping phosphates around 1ppm since I set up my 40gal back in july. The tank had been algae free with the exception of green spots on the glass. Within the past month or so I started increasing to 2ppm, since many say green spot algae is an indication of low phosphates.

Well since I started increasing KH2PO4 the algae has went a out of control. I went from scraping algae once every two weeks or so to several times a week. It is also starting to apear on the leaves of my giant hygro.

Tank stats are 40gal with 110w CF lighting, 4 DIY CO2 bottles (two changed every week). 50% water change once a week.

Macros dosed sat, mon, wed.
1/4 tsp KNO3
8 ml KH2PO4 (was doing 4ml) ( a mix of 250ml water and 3 tsp of KH2PO4)
1 tsp k2SO4
and 1 tsp MgSo4 and 1/4 tsp CaSo4 dosed once a week after water change.

Micros dosed sun, tues, thur.
14ml Plantex csm+b (a solution of 250 ml water and 2 tsp csm+b

I have stuck with this schedule pretty well. The only thing I have changed really is the increased phosphate level. Am I missing something here?

rkilling1 said:
Are you trying to dose EI?

How is the fish load and NO3 levels?

Yep, I'm trying EI. For the first few months I tested everything. From that I got an average of what I should add. The fishload is fairly heavy. Have not tested NO3 levels. Before EI I did not add KNO3 either. The bioload gave me an average of 20ppm of N. A few suggested I add KNO3 regardless after I was having a some unexplained deficenties show up. I tested the first week after using KNO3 and N was at 60ppm but by then it was time for a 50% water change.

The deficentcy pointed to potassium which was hard to believe since I was adding to 20ppm per dose three times a week, not counting the K that was in the KNO3 I was adding.

What are your CO2 levels running at? How steady are they? Something is out of balance. Extra phosphate would not cause an algae outbreak. Something somewhere is out of balance.

I was using both Aquarium Pharmicaticals and Seachem test kits, but I have not used them for a few months since starting EI. My co2 levels as of right now are at 50ppm (190 ppm kh with a ph of 6.8). I would say ph stays that or higher with 4 diy co2 bottles going and right now two of them need changed out. Could it be I don't have enough light and too much CO2? With 110w CF over a 40gal thats just 10w shy of 3wpg. Could it be too much nitrates? Overdosing potassium? I don't really know how a tank could go from doing ok for 4 months using the same dosing schedule, to algae outbreak with just a increase in P being the only change.

I wish I could figure this out because it does not make sense. I'm going to go back to dosing 1ppm P to see if this helps. Any other suggestions?

Edited by An t-iasg to remove smilies from pH numbers.

I would say either up the N or back off on the P. If you CO2 is steady, try testing a couple of different times during the lights on period. How long are the lights on? Have you tested the CO2 level in your tap after sitting out for 24 hours?

Well if it helps, here is what I dose:
10 gallon, lots of plants ~33 watts of NO flourescent
1/8 tsp KNO3, .77ppm PO4, Sun, Tue, Thur
1/4 tsp MgSO4 and 1/2 tsp. Calcium citrate day of water change
I dose .27ppm CSM+B Mon, Wed, Fri

I no longer inject CO2 and have minimul green spot algae which I have to clean about twice a month if that. I also dose Excel every day according to the label.

If my snails show signs of problems or I see any fin problems I dose a little more MgSO4 (fins) and/or Calcium Citrate (snails) (going to get calcium chloride soon, citrate simply won't dissolve very fast)

Back
Top Bottom