undergravel filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreak5

Aquarium Advice Regular
How can i make my undergravel filter more powerful and when I put plants in will it damage them?:confused:

Run it with powerheads (pick your gph). UGF's are not typically suggested for planted tanks.

How can i make my undergravel filter more powerful and when I put plants in will it damage them?:confused:

If you intend to grow live FW plants, then an undergravel filter is a bad idea. You generally want your substrate to remain nutrient rich for a planted tank.

also how do my udergravel is putting out less bubbles does it need cleaning?,how do you clean one?

It is a PITA to clean an UGF. The classic way is to tear the tank down, remove the plates & scrub it. You need to do that once every year or 2.

Others have devised ways to get around it - some have siphon vac under the plates using airline tubing, but the best I heard of is using a length of 1/2" tubing attached to a shop-vac. If you kept up with the vacuuming, you can avoid the tear down for a long time.

IMO, the UGF is only good if you run it with powerheads, and best in reversed orientation. <Ie - water is sucked in the up tube & pushing out of the gravel.> In a planted tank, it is a problem. If you have any rooted plants, the roots will get into the slots & clog the plates. Plus, it is even more of a PITA to do a tank teardown with plants....

Like the others said, I would ditch the UGF all together. I bought one, set it up, ran it for a few days and ended up ripping it out and replacing with a HOB filter. I'd save the money, time and aggravation by removing it sooner, rather than later.

Back
Top Bottom