Question bout guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Natalie4981

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi was just wondering ive got 2 pregnant guppies wud it b ok if I put them both in a separate tank I've got you know take them out the main tank

If you want to save more fry then yes. Putting the pregnant girls in a separate, cycled(very important), tank is key. Once they drop remove the adults as they'll eat some of the fry. What size are the tanks?

00youknowit00 said:
If you want to save more fry then yes. Putting the pregnant girls in a separate, cycled(very important), tank is key. Once they drop remove the adults as they'll eat some of the fry. What size are the tanks?

The main tank is 500 litres maybe more it's huge

image-1712789592.jpg

And the second tank is not all that big as it was a beginners tank for my children any info I'm very grateful for does she look pregnant to u

image-1192315326.jpg

Hi was just wondering ive got 2 pregnant guppies wud it b ok if I put them both in a separate tank I've got you know take them out the main tank

Hello Nat...

You don't necessarily need to move the females if you start feeding more often. Moving the pregnant females can be stressful. Anyway, Guppies are extremely active and need multiple feedings, daily close to fry delivery time. It's been my experience with these fish that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry.

One other thing, if you don't have floating plants in your tank, you need to get some. I have areas in my planted tanks with a thick growth of floating Water wisteria and Pennywort. Your fry will immediately swim to the surface for air and need a place to hide to feel comfortable and your females need a place away from the other fish in the tank.

B

calfishguy said:
what do you have in your large tank other than your guppies

A couple of gouramis n few tetras not many also a male guppy

BBradbury said:
Hello Nat...

You don't necessarily need to move the females if you start feeding more often. Moving the pregnant females can be stressful. Anyway, Guppies are extremely active and need multiple feedings, daily close to fry delivery time. It's been my experience with these fish that well fed adults show little or no interest in the fry.

One other thing, if you don't have floating plants in your tank, you need to get some. I have areas in my planted tanks with a thick growth of floating Water wisteria and Pennywort. Your fry will immediately swim to the surface for air and need a place to hide to feel comfortable and your females need a place away from the other fish in the tank.

B

I've got plants which have grown to the top of the tank but il get some floating ones today thankyou

Back
Top Bottom