copperbanded butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andysam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In the last 3 years I lost 2 CBs , both after about 5-6 months.Everything is fine then I find them wedged under a rock dead.Doing a lot of reading I am not convinced that a CB is a fish that can be kept alive long term. I am very comfortable with tangs and triggers, but could someone with a LOT of experience with CBs please share their knowledge on this subject. If this fish can be kept long term what is the secret.

Let me quote liveaquaria.com "It is best housed in very large reefs, or in peaceful community tanks. It should be kept singly, not with conspecifics or similar butterfly fish, and should not be kept with any stress-inducing fish. Caution should be exercised if housing these fish in a reef aquarium. They may pick on invertebrates, especially anemones and feather dusters. They are an excellent fish when used to control aiptasia, or glass anemones, in the reef aquarium.

I tried to keep them in my 180 Gal. with Tangs and triggers with the same results.

Thank you for the reply. The two were in a very well established 220 gal reef with only a kole and a convict tang, they never touched aiptesia or any invertebrates [ate all fan worms]. Stress or lack of food was not the problem

I`ve always heard that they are very finicky eaters. Make sure before you buy another one that they are eating before you bring them home. That`s half the battle if they are eating.

Hi melosu, they were eating for 5-6 months but it seems that they get something in nature that is lacking in our tanks. Just wondering if anyone had one live for more then a year or so and what they are doing that Im not

Back
Top Bottom